P-metric vs. LT-metric tires

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

P-metric vs. LT-metric tires

Post by Retep »

I didn't want to hijack Barch's thread with this, so I started a new one.
I am getting some Dueler AT Revos in the stock 235/75 size. They are available in both P and LT metric sizes but I am not sure what the difference is. I do know that the LT typically has a higher load rating and higher max inflation but that is all I know.
What other differences are there? Is there a difference in ride quality, cornering, wear, etc.? Which should I go with for my driving needs of 90% daily driver, 9% weekend hauler, and 1% light offroader?
Anyone care to educate me on this subject?

Thanks,
Pete
Last edited by Retep on Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Here's an article I found asking pretty much the same question:
Light truck and SUV manufacturers are using more P-metric tires for additional reasons, says John Soule, Michelin brand light truck category manager for Michelin North America Inc.

1. P-metrics cost less than LT tires. P-metrics have lower tread depths, therefore they use less rubber. They also contain less polyester in their carcasses and smaller steel cables or, in some cases, lower density of steel in the belts. "P-metrics don't need to be over-engineered," he says.

2. Fuel economy. "A P-metric tire is lighter than an LT," and provides less rolling resistance, says Soule.

"P-metrics work fine in the vast majority of light-duty pickup and SUV applications," says Pecoraro. "That's their appeal and that's why they are OE."
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

P tires typically have a softer more flexible sidewall giving the vehicle a smoothe more car like ride. LT's typically have a stiffer sidewall translating to a stiffer more responsive ride.
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

LT aka Light-truck tires may have an extra casing ply, an extra belt, a stronger belt and/or a larger bead with more sidewall rubber.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

After reading that article, I am thinking LT might be the way to go. Still not sure though.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

Retep wrote:After reading that article, I am thinking LT might be the way to go. Still not sure though.

Pete
Yes! I wouldn't go without an LT tire on a truck. As I stated in the other thread, the Revo's I've got on my stock rims are the "C" load rated version of the Revo. It's heavier duty than needed for my Jimmy but there sure isn't any sidewall flex!
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Are flotation size tires ex. 30x9.5 constructed similar to LT tires, extra ply and belt, stiffer sidewall?

Actually the LT 235/75 Revo has a lower max. load than the P-metric size. link

Now I am really confused :?: . Which should I go with?

Pete
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

Retep wrote:
Actually the LT 235/75 Revo has a lower max. load than the P-metric size. link

Pete
Yeah, I was comparing the 2 different REVOs after I posted to tell the difference. It looks like the C rated REVO has deeper tread and higher psi rating but carries slightly less load. :!: Makes no sense to me either!
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]