My BL experience.

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

gofast505
Regular
Regular

My BL experience.

Post by gofast505 »

Props to you guys that only took 10-12 hours to do the body lift, mine took 20 +!! I have an 03 ZR5, I did the complete install, i moved the diff actuator, positive terminal, all the ground straps, and that J shaped extension that did not seem to be be in my instructions at all. I was not impressed with this kit overall, I ended up using a lot of bolts from my own supply because I did not want excess threads sticking out all over the place, and the self threading bolds for the crush plates did not self thread. I did this lift completely by myself with air and I lifted the bed with a come along to aid in aligning of the bed. I did not use the exetionsion for the fuel filler, I did the move the hose clamps and pull, plus my 03 didnt have a breather line and that extionsion wouldnt have worked anyway. I did the torsion/shackle lift a few days prior, now I am ready for 31's, I will post my picts on my website later.
[size=75]Send Beer.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

so tell us how you really feel :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

So, how much experience with this sort of thing did you have prior to the install?

Would you do it again, or recommend that someone have a "shop" install the kit?

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see the pictures :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gofast505
Regular
Regular

Post by gofast505 »

I better mention this too, thanks to this site and the users on it I did have an easier time with this lift, this site is a prime example of what good the internet can do, so thanks. I do think anyone could do the lift, it is easy after you figure out just what the heck those tiny pictures are pointing at, but I do think comparing it to a oil change is stretching it, I have never had to drill anything on an oil change, and if you do something went terribly wrong ;)

I have never had any experience lifting a newer vehicle, but I have had lots of experience lifting jeeps (older, CJ style).

Sorry, all my picts are large, if you dont have broadband dont bother.
This is my jeep i built with everyone elses parts, litterly, from 76 44 axles to 79 drive train to 84 engine. This is me towing it to Moab with my old ZR2, I traded the ZR2 for the ZR5, I do miss that suspension on the zr2 but love the 4 doors!
http://www.505wired.com/moab/images/Moa ... 2002-1.jpg
actually here is that jeep in action if anyone is interested, i usually dont post due to safety issues.... http://www.505wired.com/moab/moab2.htm

Anyway, here is the truck before.
http://www.505wired.com/ftp/picts/zr5.jpg
Here is the truck after.
http://dev.505wired.com/goodfun/BodyLIft/DSCN2866.JPG
The during shots did not turn out but if you got nothing better to do.
http://dev.505wired.com/goodfun/BodyLIft/

Now tires, im thinking BF AT's this is my daily driver.

Thanks to everyone who posted information about this BL again!

bl
gofast505
Regular
Regular

Post by gofast505 »

Tires are on and aligned, check it out, looks pretty sharp.

http://dev.505wired.com/goodfun/BodyLIft/DSCN2873.JPG

bl
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice! That is the way a ZR5 package should have looked :thumb:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Looks good 8) .
Are those BFG's 30's or 31's?

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
gofast505
Regular
Regular

31's :)

Post by gofast505 »

Thanks, I am actually getting alot of compliments when I am out driving.

31 x 10.5 bfg at ko's.

Now its time for billstiens.

bl
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

hey gofast can i see the pics of your truck the link isnt working and i just want to check out a few things are you on stock rims still that is what im looking for is a bl with the stocks on or anybody for that matter
thanks
brian
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

2" BL, stock rims and 30x9.5" tires...

[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

camelott112 wrote:...what im looking for is a bl with the stocks on or anybody for that matter...
Check out the User gallery there are many members with the 2" BL and stock wheels, myself included.

Here are a few to look for: 2bunik, adrenalnjunky, christian, dwhawke, HenryJ, HuNext, MikeH, etc.

Those are some that I could remember :?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gofast505
Regular
Regular

Post by gofast505 »

I also re-posted my pictures of my truck, I run my own web server and had some typical MS problems, but i got them all fixed and my body lift picts are back up.

http://dev.505wired.com/goodfun/BodyLift/
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

truck looks great ,,,, are you experiencing any rubbing with those 31's on the front ???? :)
gofast505
Regular
Regular

Post by gofast505 »

I also did the torsion bar wrench and shackles, I did that first a few days before starting the bl, after the bl I tested turning in both directions and got no rubbing what so ever, but now I am experiencing rubbing but it is on full turn and is very slight, I would guess due to sag after wrenching on the torsion bars? My next task is to try to get some of my gas miliage back that I lost with going with the 31's.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

As for gas mileage.. Mine is so bad I bought a elantra to use less gas. as for the tires rubbing.. Yeah they rub only on hard turns.. like a u turn.. Since my wife drives it.. She really dont care about it rubbing so the frame is now chrome on that spot..
:twisted:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
TheBigFitz
Crew
Crew

Post by TheBigFitz »

As for 31's, mine rub also at full lock. It is really not a problem unless you use your 4wd a lot, then your steering jerks when the tires hit. I am going to replace my tires after the first of the year, I am dropping back to 30's at that time.
[size=75]SOLD - 2" BL, BFGR 31x10.50 on American Racing Outlaw II Rims (15x7, 6" BS), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 1" Torsion Bar Adjustment, Rear add-a-leaf, Westin nerf bars & tail light guards, Genuine Steel grill guard, Tinted Windows, K&N Filter - SOLD

New Ride: 2006 Chevy Silverado SS[/size]