tires

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

jeremy
Regular
Regular

tires

Post by jeremy »

so are the GFG rugged trail tires better, or the toyo open county. any recomendations on other tires. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'm not familiar with a GFG, did you mean BFG?
I do have some experience with Les Schwab's line of Toyo tires.
I run the Wild Country RVT's on my old truck, Toyo M/T and Open Country A/T on some of the fleet vehicles.
They , in the most part, are 50,000+ mile tires , warranty service is outstanding and a Les Schwab tire center is everywhere that I travel, they last forever.

That was the pro's now the con's.

Pricey (you are paying for the service), tend to have some minor sidewall separation issues, hard compound, poor wet/snow traction, they last forever.

If you need the service that is provided , they are a good tire. I would put them , and do, on my wife's car so that any service needed is covered.
On my vehicle I can deal with tire repairs and demand a little more offroad performance, so cost and traction were my deciding factors.

You will really have to get honest with yourself and decide what really makes sense for the driving that you do. Tires are not an easy choice.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeremy
Regular
Regular

Post by jeremy »

yeah, i ment BFG, im on crack :shock: i was planing on getting the toyo open county, but i see a lot more BFG tires, im probly gonna move to alaska for a year so i need somthing that gets good snow and wet traction and good of road reviews, every one here seems to always know about some brand that i have never herd of, just wondering, thatnks for the advice
jeremy
ps nice tuck
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeremy wrote:yeah, i ment BFG, im on crack :shock: i was planing on getting the toyo open county, but i see a lot more BFG tires, im probly gonna move to alaska for a year so i need somthing that gets good snow and wet traction and good of road reviews, every one here seems to always know about some brand that i have never herd of, just wondering, thatnks for the advice
jeremy
ps nice tuck
Thanks, Where in Alaska are you planning to go?
I've spent some time up there working for "Hardline Electric" , between Palmer and Wasilla. I'll probably be "dating" myself, but I fished/hunted off the Port of Valdez , before the Exxon cap'tn made a mess of things ;)

The roads are really good up there. (lots of oil money to keep up the repairs).
Get off road and it is another story. You'll need the BFM tires (Big F'n Mud) for that area.

If you can afford them Goodyear MTR's seem to be a good choice. They have the traction and pretty good wear characteristics.
If you don't mind the noise Baja Claws would be nice for the mud.
I do like my Geolandar M/T's but they are going to last less than 40k

I'd be curious as to how the Geolandar A/T's that Bennie has are performing?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeremy
Regular
Regular

Post by jeremy »

i dont know were ill end up, were ever the job tales me, im a pilot so who ever needs one ill be there, i guess ill just go with the toyos for now, they have a good waranty and if i need some nobbies ill just have to sack up an buy some more :idea:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeremy wrote:i dont know were ill end up, were ever the job tales me, im a pilot so who ever needs one ill be there, i guess ill just go with the toyos for now, they have a good waranty and if i need some nobbies ill just have to sack up an buy some more :idea:
You might consider investing in a good set of chains.
The locals have swamp buggies that are used to reach hunting cabins, and hunt bear in the tundra. A couple of the very old WWII power Wagons that I saw were using surplus airplane tires (4'-6' smooth ribbed) and chains on a fours.
I was told the only way to turn one of these rigs is to bounce it off a tree ;)

My buddy and I came real close to buying an old Unimog and driving the AlCan home (before it was all paved) the crew talked us out of that foolishness :?

Best of luck, the Toyo's should be pretty worry free.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:If you can afford them Goodyear MTR's seem to be a good choice. They have the traction and pretty good wear characteristics.
If you don't mind the noise Baja Claws would be nice for the mud.
I do like my Geolandar M/T's but they are going to last less than 40k

I'd be curious as to how the Geolandar A/T's that Bennie has are performing?
I am very happy with my Goodyear MT/R's. They are the best on rocky surfaces, and good in the mud. They work well on powdered snow, but aren't as great on packed snow. Noise is tolerable, but there is some hum to them. The Pro Comp A/T's have a good severe weather rating and a 50k mile warranty. These might be a good choice in the snow up there, but I have never used them so I can't say for sure. If all else fails, chains are definitely a lifesaver.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

buddy of mine has the Pro Comp AT's on his F250, in a 305/75/16 I think (33" equiv) and he hates them. He says that they are noisier than the BFG AT/KO's he had on his Expedition, and that they seem to lose grip on the road more, and are such a hard rubber compountd that they make the ride rougher, and they aren't wearing out fast enough for him to replace em yet......
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]