Will 30"s and 3.42 work?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Will 30"s and 3.42 work?

Post by smokinjoe »

well the title is pretty clear on my ?

and i was also wandering if anyone one was running bridgestone dueler a/t revo's i looked at tirerack and they got great reveiws but you guys know how that kinda stuff goes but i was wondering if there was some good first hand experience around here but i dropped a c-note per tire :shock:
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Gawd I hope they do work--that's the tire/gear combo I am going to.

As for the Revos, I read those same reviews and was thinking about them, the AT/TA KO, or the Pirellt Scorpion AT -- the Scorpions have pretty good reviews, and they drop the price per tire down $14.

I also have a connection with a Cooper/DIscovery Tire dealer -- anyone know much about the Cooper tires?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

personally, i only buy BFG's and Goodyears MTR's as far as off roading tires go.

and here is a thread where we just discussed your gear and tire setup

http://henryj.lifelesspeople.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=

i havent been on a trip in a while but the last time i went we had 18 trucks, all with BFG a/t's on 3 with BFG m/t's

and i dont even know more than 4 people coming to the trip
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yeah -- I'll probably go with the BFG AT - KO -- I need to keep telling myself that it's only an extra $15 per tire--save up another paycheck if that's what it takes.

Sears was just running a sale on the 30 x 9.5 for $90 each, but I couldnt afford it, and it was before I had really decided to do anything with my truck.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

well thats saving 60 bucks total,if the bfg's are good tires like everyone says thats good enough for me
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

they last a good long time
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

smokinjoe wrote:well thats saving 60 bucks total,if the bfg's are good tires like everyone says thats good enough for me

I buy nothing else. But some people hate them, some like them. Most people I ride with here hate them. But I've been running BFG's (AT's and MT's) and I swear by them. I've pulled nails out of them, no biggy. Excellent traction all around also.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

what about highway driving and noise and snow traction those will be my main concern,i want a tire that thats good on the road and great in places where there isnt a road to be seen
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

BFG AT's would be great for what you are looking for. If you are concerned about noise, don't get MT's! IMO
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, the a/t is the comprosmise obviously. any mudder will be noisy. naturally....and the a/t's will be more noisy than reg passenger tires. but its a compromise, you have to decide what you want.

if you are just freeway, then choose a highway tire. the offroad tires can be real heavy and will cut down on gas mileage
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Back to the original question... :lol:

Yes, 30's w/ the 3.42 rearend will work. That's what I'm running. I didn't notice any appreciable difference when I went to the 30's in place of the 235/75's. It's only like a 1% difference. Of course, all my driving is on-road. I did tow my old Honda Accord about 350 miles a couple of weeks ago...it might have been nice to have the 3.73 then.

As to Bridgestone...SCREW THOSE GUYS!! Not that I'm bitter.... Get the BFG's!! Shop around and haggle a bit. I ended up paying $104 a piece INSTALLED!
[size=75]'03 Crew K&N Drop-in, Sylvania Silverstars, BFG AT KO's(30X9.5X15)[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

so you'd get AT's over MT's, guys?
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

MT's will be noisier, but better off road traction. If you're mostly on-road, then get the AT's.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

AZS10Crew wrote:MT's will be noisier, but better off road traction. If you're mostly on-road, then get the AT's.

I had a set of BFG MTs on my 89 Trooper and they were not too noisy, but not a very good Daily driver tire, IMHO. I would def. get an AT tire for a daily driver. I have a set of REVOs AT on my 01 Trooper and love them. I don't think you can go wrong BFG or Goodyear ATs but the price on them makes the REVO a better deal.

Good Luck,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

such a tough choice, why cant these decesions be easier like trying to decide what shoe goes on what foot :x

and just to let people know i got my access rollup cover yesterday,put it on in about 20 minutes it was easy and boy does it look goooood on there especially since it's flat, not bowed up like other soft covers and it locks so it'll almost be like a trunk, my power tailgate lock should be here today, just waiting for the ups guy to show.boy that will be nice

truck also handles much smother and is alot better in the rearend at high speeds, it doesnt jump and sway like it used to, i'm sure that it "had to give me extra 20 horses and maybe even 30 lbd of torque just kidding id be happy to get another 20 miles to the tank :)
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, tires and rims got to be the toughest decision that I've made. I had to return 2 seperate sets of rims, cause they didn't work out in one way or another. I decided to stick with stock rims, was way easier and I kept more of a stock look which I liked.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya its hard to get rims when none of them fit cuz of the less backspacing. but if i went back to 29's i could get some cool rims cuz now i have the lift to cover the rim thats pushed out.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

another less than intelligent ? from me

what do you mean by backspacing?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Here is all the info ya need: http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:Here is all the info ya need: http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

nice find :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

good stuff,

let me see if i got this straight, if you get wider rims youd need rims with less backspacing so the inside of the tire doesnt rub... correct... yes...no

i dont really want to buy new rims i just want bigger tires.... like i said i just need 30x9.5 to fit on on my 15x7 rim which should work, and i shouldnt get any major rub right?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

smokinjoe wrote:good stuff,

let me see if i got this straight, if you get wider rims youd need rims with less backspacing so the inside of the tire doesnt rub... correct... yes...no
Yes

i dont really want to buy new rims i just want bigger tires.... like i said i just need 30x9.5 to fit on on my 15x7 rim which should work, and i shouldnt get any major rub right?
Yes

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

thats all i needed to know

now i need to talk the soon to be wife into it, and letting me drop about another 2k into it

shes jealous of the truck :x , i keep telling her i love both of them the same amount... just different