Questions about 2" Body Lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

kgkoon
Regular
Regular

Questions about 2" Body Lift

Post by kgkoon »

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and have been lurking for the past couple of days. I drive a 2003 ZR5 and love the truck, except for the body heighth.

It looks like a lot of you are using the PA-192 kit, and I wanted to make sure that this kit works because the description of the kit does not cover 2003 crew cab model trucks.

Also, what gap guard kit should I use?

Thanks guys, I am really enjoying this forum.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I just installed the PA-192 kit on my 2003 Crew Cab. It went on perfect. See the thread "2" BL is on" for information...and hopefully pics by the end of the week.

As for the gap guards, I would just try to look at Home Depot or something for some urethane sheeting. That's all a gap guard kit is, and it will probably be cheaper getting it yourself.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, the kit makes it look better. some body lifts of course dont look better, but this one does. it should of come stock with it...and i just ordered some gap guards from 4wp :wink:

ps. welcome to the site and please post anytime!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I was looking under my truck (I like doing that...) and noticed these round things (for lack of a better word) the are on the outside of the frame rails. Are these the mounts that the body is attached to?
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You mean the platform-type things off to the side of the frame with the doughnut shaped rubber bushings and a bolt through the middle? Yeah...those are the body mounts. There's 8 total for the cab, 6 for the bed, and four places where the front bumper mounts that you'll install spacers and longer bolts into for the BL.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

this starting to not be as scary...
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

It's not scary at all. The instructions are very good (and actually the instructions show a crew cab in all the pics), and whatever pointers you need for the install, you can get from all of us who have already installed one.

It's just time consuming is all. It takes a lot of time to take everything apart and put it back together.
[size=75]Mark
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

But there are some draw backs to a BL. If you already have exhaust or a hitch, those will sag down an extra 2"s. Unless you do what brule did and take the extra time to lift them up. And if you try to get a grill guard later on, that will not work out well. All grill guards mount down at the tow hooks, so you grill guard will sag 2"s. Just little things like that that you may want to think about first.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

a2b wrote:ya, the kit makes it look better. some body lifts of course dont look better, but this one does. it should of come stock with it...and i just ordered some gap guards from 4wp :wink:

ps. welcome to the site and please post anytime!

Hell with the body lift our trucks should have come SFA. All 4wd trucks should come SFA.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i hate to sound stupid(its better to have people think your stupid than open your mouth and prove it)but what does SFA stand for?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

smokinjoe wrote:i hate to sound stupid(its better to have people think your stupid than open your mouth and prove it)but what does SFA stand for?
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people who do not ask questions :D

SFA , Solid Front Axle

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

HenryJ wrote:
smokinjoe wrote:i hate to sound stupid(its better to have people think your stupid than open your mouth and prove it)but what does SFA stand for?
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people who do not ask questions :D

SFA , Solid Front Axle
My favorite quote. So will my pushbar sag two inches then?

Dave
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Depending on how your pushbar mounts, you might be able to redrill the holes and remount it 2" higher. I know someone here did that with their pushbar and bodylift. I'm going the suspension lift route this summer.

Well, at least my wife has stopped saying "NO" for now! :roll:
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

try to convince her to buy me a supercharger
Pat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Pat »

installed the PA-192 kit

What does the PA stand for and where is the best place to pick up the kit?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

PA is the manufacturer...Performance Accessories. They're in AZ actually...I've been to their shop to pick up some parts that were missing from my kit.

I got mine through Summit...that's the cheapest I've found online. It was around $160-$170 I think...something like that. Part # is PRA PA-192.
[size=75]Mark
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, Summit is dirt cheap on some things. I got a Dynomax catback for the camaro for like 160 with 30 rebate! And other's were well in the 200's to 300 for the same thing!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i also have a couple ?'s before i get the lift, how do you lift the hitch and and towhooks,and what size spacers does anyone recommend for giving the truck a slightly wider look but i don;t my truck to look like i've got axle xtensions to be cool or anything,and one last ? what is good brand tire for normal day to day use with, that i can get 30X9.5

i'd appreciate any help or info :idea:
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Hitch I don't know...depends on what kind you have. HenryJ's was adjustable I think and he just adjusted it up.

The tow hooks are your decision. I mounted mine on the bottom of the frame like Hobie did and then cut some notches out of the front air dam. You could put in spacers and keep them in the stock location, but I don't know if there's enough room inside the frame for that. you'll just have to look and see.

I've got 2" spacers on each side in the rear of mine and it looks pretty good. Quickbiker has 3.x" something in the rear and 1.x" something in the front, and his looks good too. Again...your decision.

As for tires, what kind are you looking for? Mainly on-road or mainly off-road, or equal amounts of both? If I were you, I'd look on www.tirerack.com It will give you a ton of results for tires by size and you can just browse through and see what you like the best. Everything is rated based on performance and durability too for easier research.
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

smokinjoe wrote: how do you lift the hitch and and towhooks
My hitch is the GM three piece design (Valley Hitch Inc.)What I did was to raise the center section as far as the side brackets would allow (aprox. 1.5"), and redrill the holes.

For front tow hooks I used First Gen S-10 4x4 hooks which point down.

There are pictures of both the front and rear hitches here: Brule's hitches
what size spacers does anyone recommend for giving the truck a slightly wider look but i don;t my truck to look like i've got axle xtensions to be cool or anything
When I measured mine the front was 2 5/16" wider, so I went with 1.25" spacers to get the track close to the same. You can't go any less than that or the stud will hit the wheel , when mounting. Check the stock info it gives the front and rear track measurements.

The rear box is wider so a little thicker spacer may look a little more in proportion.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK