clunk in rear (shock/custom exhaust)

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ejxjohnson
Regular
Regular

clunk in rear (shock/custom exhaust)

Post by ejxjohnson »

so i finally installed my new rancho rs5000 rear shocks and ow when i go off bumps sometimes i hear a clunking sound in the back and its weird because it happends only half the time going on bumpy road sometimes it clunks on small bumps while big bumps it dosent make a sound or vice versa......i crawled back under and tried to tighten the shocks but its as tight as they can go(used man power then a air power tool) and tried to shake the shock and it dosent budge an inch......is anyone else having this problem with the rancho shocks in the rear? i know its common in the front but i dont know about the rear...

Edited title-HJ
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I got noise coming from the rear too. :lol: Go under and start tapping on things with a rubber hammer. This will help vibrate things throughout the whole rear of truck. I had to do this last week. I found that when I tapped on the passenger side rear leaf suspension pack something in that wheel hub would rattle. I've yet to yank the wheel off due to no garage and dropping temps with snow, (plus the HPP3 just showed up from Killian to play around with in the truck). I believe the noise to be in the brake system on mine. I need to do a complete overhaul of the parking brake system once it warms up. :wink:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

OK, so with the good weather this past weekend, I was able to get a look at the rattle noise around my rear passenger side rotor. Before I got the tire completely removed, I noticed that the stock fender flare was very loose. :shock: The fender flare was able to be pulled 2 to 3 inches out from the fender and I could see that the stock metal mounts had all completely rusted, and that barely any of the double sided foam tape was holding it on. So I removed it completely until I can either get new OE mounts, or I decide to use screws and tape on the fender lip to remount. If any one has the stock flare mount part numbers, please post those number!!! :? Then I knew I still had a brake slide pin in need of repair, so I removed the bracket and had to drill that out. Works properly now. :D I then tapped around again with the rubber hammer, and got no noise, so I started to reassemble. :) Then to my surprise, as I was twisting the rotor back and forth to check for smoothness, I hear some grinding. :shock: So I take everything back apart, and removed the rotor to find that my parking brake pad had fallen completely off. I just removed the pad completely, and put everything back together. Took it for a test drive, and everything was good. :wink: Then while driving to go out to eat, I hear a some small "Tink, Tink" noises and an occasional clunk towards the center passenger side of the truck. The now ex-GF, (I broke up with her after dinner), says the noise sounds like a tambourine. The clunking noise almost sounds like something is hanging up/binding in the drivetrain, and I'm wondering if something else worked loose in the rear wheel and is rolling around causing the tambourine sounds! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try and get a look at it again tonight, if I don't get sidetracked by some BUD-dies :cheers: . :wink:
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

If I remember correctly 'em drum brake pads ain't cheap. I believe the parts store quoted me something int he neighborhood of $100 each. :shock:

they sure don't look like they should cost that much.

I guess they're not so bad
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Check your bed and body mounting bolts. The washer on them will make that tambourine sound if there loose.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

barch97 wrote:If I remember correctly 'em drum brake pads ain't cheap. I believe the parts store quoted me something int he neighborhood of $100 each. :shock:

they sure don't look like they should cost that much.

I guess they're not so bad
Yeah, the price isn't that bad. However, Advance Auto has the Raybestos shoes for $88 and the Wearever shoes for $66. I also need/want to get all new cables. I quit using my parking brake about 2 years ago when the cables stretched and the brake wouldn't release/kept hanging up after you set the brake.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Found my clunking/grinding/binding/tamborine noise. As I figured when I took the parking brake shoe off of the passenger side the other day, the adjuster completely unscrewed and was tumbling around and grinding in the open drum. While I had the air tools out, I just went ahead and threw some twists at the body mounts. :D All were tight. I heard no rattles/tamborines or any other musical instrument noises from the truck on the way home from my parent's house.

ejxjohnson
Have you figured out your clunk noise yet!

edit!! Oh and I found a piece of metal tumbling around in the driver side rear drum/rotor as well. And I'll need to check to see if the tension screws come with then new parking shoes/pads, as mine got pretty chewed up over the past couple days.
ejxjohnson
Regular
Regular

Post by ejxjohnson »

sorry for the late post but i found out that my clunk was.....when the exhaust shop put on my dual exhaust (its a frikkin tight fit for the s-10's) they put it wayy to close to the shocks, they were fine for the stock shocks because the stock ones are a bit smaller in diameter then the rancho's but the rancos would hit the exhaust.....i fixed the problem by putting 2 washers on the bottom shock bolt before the shock and it spaced it out enough so the shock dosent rub up on the pipe so im a happy camper
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:thumb: Glad to see you figured it out.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

WVHogRider wrote:If anyone has the stock flare mount part numbers, please post those number!!!
I guess nobody knows!!! :?: