what do you think is wrong?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ejxjohnson
Regular
Regular

what do you think is wrong?

Post by ejxjohnson »

ok so i bought my 2001 s10 cc about 7 months ago from a dealer and first thing i did was got an alignment on it (at dealers expense) and the alignment center said i got a worn out gear box.......so i contact the dealer and the and the dealer refused to replace the gear box because i didn't purchase the....but i wound up arguing with them for about an hour and to make a long story short they said they would do it becuase i told them that the worn out gear box was the problem for the abd alignment and that they signed the papers saying they would fix the alignment. so i take it to a body shop and the macanic says it wasnt worn out he just needed to tighten some gears down....and it drove fine so i was happy, but now when i drive on uneven roads or bumpy roads i feel my cc jerkign to the right a little so i have to constenly correct my stearing...what do u guys think is worng? btw my truck has 76000 miles on it now since i do dive a lot and i still have stock shocks on it whitch i am gonna replace myslef when it gets a little warmer....i live in Alaska so its like 10 degrees right now and i dont have a garage
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Just a few questions. Are the tires new or worn? Where they rotated after the alignment? Are the shocks original? Are there any signs that the truck has been in an accident?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: what do you think is wrong?

Post by F9K9 »

ejxjohnson wrote:.......i still have stock shocks on it whitch i am gonna replace myslef when it gets a little warmer....i live in Alaska so its like 10 degrees right now and i dont have a garage
:!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ejxjohnson
Regular
Regular

Post by ejxjohnson »

the tires are brand new revos adn the truck has a clean record with no accidents and yes they are stock shocks
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I would start with the shocks. Once I replaced mine I noticed i wasn't being pulled to wherever the pot hole was. My truck would just take the bounce and keep going straight. Something I noticed right away after putting the bilstein's upfront.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: what do you think is wrong?

Post by Snoman002 »

ejxjohnson wrote:so i take it to a body shop and the macanic says it wasnt worn out he just needed to tighten some gears down....and it drove fine so i was happy, but now when i drive on uneven roads or bumpy roads i feel my cc jerkign to the right a little so i have to constenly correct my stearing...
What gears did he tighten?

How long after he tightened the gears did you notice the problem? Right away!? The way you say it leads me to believe that it has been a little while since the body shop worked on the truck.

If this happened then my bet is he overtighened the gears and that is the problem. To properly set up the steering box it needs to be removed from the truck, fluid drained, and the force it takes to move the steering box from center needs to be measured with an inch pound torque wrench. Because that is a PITA most just adjust it on the car using the "tighten untill pressure, back 1/2 turn" method. This method, although it works many times, can cause problems. In fact if it was overtightened then IIRC the steering will be vauge and jerky on center.

Take it back, and since he didn't replace the part that GM was going to pay for like he should have, tell him to either get you a new steering gear, or to pull the old one and follow the proper BENCH setup for a steering box.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
ejxjohnson
Regular
Regular

Post by ejxjohnson »

it wasn't rigth after he tightened it, and i dont kow what gears he tightened, but i did notice that the steering wheel was a lot more stiff....like when you make a turn and let go of the wheel it is suppsoed to center back up so you start driving in a strait line....well now i have to help it a little

hmm the dealership did this about 5 months ago and i didnt get any paper work on it. i bet you that they will deny ever working on it in the first place........i will call them up tomorrow tho
ejxjohnson
Regular
Regular

Post by ejxjohnson »

o yah im guessing he tightened gear 2 or 3 cuz sometimes(happens rarely)it kinda jumps to gear 3 and jerks my truck forward a little, i thought it was beacuse of my tires spinning out on the ice and then caching solid ground the first times it happened (its happened 3 times now), but it just recenly happened again and since theres no snow or ice on the ground and it happened all 3 times when shifting to 3rd gear i am worried
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

The gear adjustment that they are referring too isn’t in the tranny it’s in the steering Gearbox
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Yep, bring it back and tell him to do it right, and since he messed it up the first time tell him to bench adjust it this time.

Vague on center feel and failure to return to center is usually what happens if the steering gear is tightened down to far.

Steering Gear Adjustment Procedure

The above link will tell you want needs to be done to adjust the gear, this is what the body shop did.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
ejxjohnson
Regular
Regular

Post by ejxjohnson »

i brought it back to them and they tightened the gears the right way.....it dirves much better now thanks for the help guys
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

ejxjohnson wrote:i brought it back to them and they tightened the gears the right way.....it dirves much better now thanks for the help guys
That's great they finally did it right. It just amazes me of how so called professionals do crappy work. The ol motto if ya want it done right is so true. But I also understand limitations of not having a garage and heat, I've been there. Hope it holds for ya.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
ejxjohnson
Regular
Regular

Post by ejxjohnson »

oh i have a garage......but my porsche is in there and a s### ton of stuff is in the way so i cant get it out without moving a lot of crap so i guess u can call me lazy haha