Another body Lift complete

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Another body Lift complete

Post by ace »

I'm putting the body lift on this weekend and I've looked over the application page. Anyone else have any additional tips? I'm soaking most of the bolts in wd-40 tonight and tomorrow and doing the lift the next day.
Last edited by ace on Wed May 31, 2006 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Get a good set of air tools! Also, have both metric and standard sockets. I believe it was a 17mm (or was it a 19mm??) that will be needed alot! Just take your time and follow the directions. Good Luck!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

the nut that holds the oil line to the side of the oil pan is a pain.....just take your time with it.!!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Watch out for that (fuel filler?) ground strap. Mine needed to be re-routed to give it a safe amount of slack. I didn't notice it until about a week later and it was very tight. :shock: Oh and don't forget to follow the instructions! :lol:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HJ has a picture somewhere of how the front bumper side braces are supposed to look. One bolt would be easy to install while you are lifting the cab.

I found it :wink:

Those brackets have eaten up 2 hrs for some members as posted here
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Heres how those bumper bracket things work
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I'm going to look at that bumper bracket. So while someone is lifting the cab someone needs to put a bolt in there?
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ace wrote:I'm going to look at that bumper bracket. So while someone is lifting the cab someone needs to put a bolt in there?
If you'll look at HenryJ's photo, the front cab mount is right behind the bracket and space is limited. It is just easier to toss a bolt in there while the cab is up and the mounts are free. It's is no big deal if you don't. My kit was short one bracket so I just moved mine up one bolt hole.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:HJ has a picture somewhere of how the front bumper side braces are supposed to look. One bolt would be easy to install while you are lifting the cab.

This is the first time I have seen this pic, and it's nice to see I actually put it together the right way. :lol: :D

Steve
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

well........................how did it go, ace??????
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I got it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should say my dad, my mom, and my brother got it done. Yes I needed each of their help at different times. I must admit It took me awhile to complete the install and I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. Though I do like to do things right the first time. I started at 10am and finished at 11:30pm. I took my time a few things and had a few things take some extra time. Here's a few things about the experience.

1. Why did they make me take off the vacuum actuator and the positive terminal? Their was plenty of slack in those and reactached no problem after the lift. I'm glad I did not drill the holes they said too.
2. The nuts on the oil lines on the oil pan did suck. I did reattach the bracket and two nuts after the lift. I did not like the lines resting on the bolt.
3. I did put the lower fan shroud on the way they said to after the lift.
4. My ground under the hood was tight after the lift but not too tight.
5. I did not follow the directions totally because we lifted the cab and then reassembled the cab before attempting the bed. This worked out great and we actually thought about stopping and doing the bed another time. So this kinda answered a question of mine if you could do the lift in two parts and the answer is yes.
6. The front bumper brackets took some time but the photo's did help and I kept referring to them. Thank you!
7. The fuel filler posed a few problems. Their wasn't much room to extend the hose but as someone pointed out their wasn't anything in the kit to extend the hose that would fit anyway.
8. I cut one of the zip ties on the ground strap on the fuel filler and that wasn't enough. The strap was really tight after the lift so I reached up there with a wire cutter and cut the other zip tie and it had enough slack and was perfect.
9. Aligning the bed so the bolts would go in posed some challenges.
10. The plastic clip that was holding the brake line on the frame took some time to get open but it had to come open, their was some strain on the line when lifting. I also bent the lines away from the shock mount after the lift. They were close.

I'm very pleased with the results! I still don't have my tires on just yet but I was surprised that it doesn't look to bad with the small tires. What I thought was really cool was that after the mod I could actually feel sitting up higher when driving. I thought maybe you wouldn't notice but I could. I'm thinking I will raise the step bars but I'm not to sure on the hitch just yet. I tow a pretty heavy camper and drilling holes in the brackets etc. just doesn't sit well with me just yet (all my opinion though.) I feel like I just went through initiation for this site by doing this mod. I know it's the beginning of many more but it all started with this. I'm already thinking in my mind of doing the boise spring kit.

Side notes:

1. My mom helped with lifting the bed! :)
2. We used an impact and it still took awhile.
3. It did take awhile because we were missing some sockets and spent a lot of time searching for the right tools. I could of shaved a ton of time off by having all the tools organized.
4. Speaking of tools it would of been nice if the instructions told you what size wrench or socket to use.
5. I wasn't attacked by bees but it was blazing hot here.
6. Need to adjust the headlights after the lift.
7. My hands and face were black with grease and undercoating after I was done I laughed when I looked in the mirror. :lol:
7. Bought my PA bodylift off ebay along with a brush guard all for $150.00 and turned around and sold the brush guard for $200.00 So my lift was free with a $50.00 profit!! 8)

"and that's all I got to say about that..."
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Ahem.....pics? :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

wamason wrote:Ahem.....pics? :)
I took a before picture but I still need take an after photo. I don't think I mentioned i just did this yesterday.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

ace wrote:
I took a before picture but I still need take an after photo. I don't think I mentioned i just did this yesterday.
Come on now! A day is plenty of time. :lol:
--Walt
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

wamason wrote:
ace wrote:
Come on now! A day is plenty of time. :lol:
:lol: I'm half awake today at work because by the time I was done last night, eating dinner at 11:30 and driving back to my house I got to bed about 1:30am. It's all good though. It felt good to get in the truck this morning.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

glad to see ya got it done!!!!! :thumb:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

nothin like doing it yourself
good job congrats everything else is easy now
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

jeff024 wrote:nothin like doing it yourself
good job congrats everything else is easy now
That's definitely true. It feels good when you know you did it yourself.
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Big difference! :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

what size tire did you go 2
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Looks sweet! Did you crank the TBs too?? Now you have to raise the step bars :)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks good! AM glad you took on the task and saw it throughImage
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Looks awesome!!! Good Job!

Next thing i'd do is a set of shackles and i'd hack off the bottom 6" of that tailpipe :lol:
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jigg wrote:Looks awesome!!! Good Job!

Next thing i'd do is a set of shackles and i'd hack off the bottom 6" of that tailpipe
:lol:
I see we really do think alike. He's doing all his work at home and thought we might "ease" his parents into the idea :lol:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:
Jigg wrote:Looks awesome!!! Good Job!

Next thing i'd do is a set of shackles and i'd hack off the bottom 6" of that tailpipe
:lol:
I see we really do think alike. He's doing all his work at home and thought we might "ease" his parents into the idea :lol:
I agree :) Bubaloo makes great shackles (I have a pair) :)
--Walt
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

goog job, ace!! :thumb:
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Thanks guys, I love the parents comment too! I definitely got a kick out of my mom lifting the bed during the install. My mom has a colorado so now she wants to get new wheels and start modding her truck. The front looks a little raised up in the picture but I think it settled down now and is even with the back. I was thinking about shackles but I do some towing and someone mentioned that sway might be an issue and rub. Surprised no one mentioned my blue walls :lol: I still haven't washed that protective coating off yet. I'll have to take a close up picture of my tires they are awesome.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

ace wrote:I was thinking about shackles but I do some towing and someone mentioned that sway might be an issue and rub.
I have shackles on my blazer, and i haven't experienced any noticable sway after putting them on. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jigg wrote:I have shackles on my blazer, and i haven't experienced any noticable sway after putting them on.
Hobie was the one who experienced this. The longer driveshaft and fuel tank position are probably the differences that count in this instance.
His truck did have a fuel tank shield. That reduces available clearance a little as you can see in this picture -

After installing the shackles there is an increase in the amount the rear of the springs can sway side to side , due to the increased leverage. Also it needs to be mentioned that we do not have a panard bar/ track locator like the ZR2 trucks have. This allows the axle to shift sideways more than usual and is significantly pronounced when pulling a trailer around a corner. The Car trailer Hobie was pulling carried a dragstrip Camaro. The combination was well under towing limits for our trucks.
Here is the thread - 09/15/02 Sun pulled 4200 lbs. this weekend
( That took some looking. Way back to the first crew cab forum )

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I wonder if having the air shocks pumped up that I'm gettting whether it would still sway or not as much because the tongue weight isn't pushing down so much.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is not the tongue weight that creates the issue. More the side loading when turning. Lateral forces rather than horizontal loading.

The shock might help some if they were splayed instead of straight up and down.

Having the rear sit higher might help a little. The air shocks might be of help in that instance. I really don't know.
One thing is for sure, the stock aluminum shaft will not take much rubbing.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

jeff024 wrote:what size tire did you go 2
I went with 31"x 10.50". They have an actual diameter of 30". I have had no problems with rubbing even at full lock. Here is some pictures. They look even better in person.

Upsized the images ( normal_ ) -HJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Daaaaaym. Blue was better than that Golgate White!!!!!!!!!! Consider coming to the "DARK SIDE' :hehe:
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

Truck is lookin great! Man sometimes I wish I had a CC.
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

GeorgesBlazah wrote:Truck is lookin great! Man sometimes I wish I had a CC.
Chop your roof off past the rear seats! :lol:
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

f9k9 wrote:Daaaaaym. Blue was better than that Golgate White!!!!!!!!!! Consider coming to the "DARK SIDE' :hehe:
I think the black walls look good with black rims but the zr5 rims look good with the OWL tires IMO. Plus side biters rule!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ace wrote:... the black walls look good with black rims but the zr5 rims look good with the OWL tires IMO.
Haven't you heard..."Black is beautiful" -

:mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Gotta go with the white letters!! :thumb:

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

The body lift looks sweet and the White is Right.

Now I really want to lift mine.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I HAVE heard Black is beautiful....

With white lettering... :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:The body lift looks sweet and the White is Right.

Now I really want to lift mine.
The green and the graphics are outf__king standing :thumb:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

ace wrote:
I HAVE heard Black is beautiful....

With white lettering... :lol:
In your case, I agree 100%! However, after letting things grow on me, I think I'll probably go with black out when I get my 33's. I think it'll look better with my wheels. :)
--Walt
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

White out:

[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That is a little hard to argue with, JiggImage
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

he green and the graphics are outf__king standing Thumbs up!
Thanks for the compliment. The graphics were a bit of a pain to install (about 1 1/2 hours each side mostly to make sure they were even on both sides as well as doing all the cutting around the door handles/body gaps and on the other side the gas door, but it really makes the truck stand out. I get some great looks when I am out and about not just because of the graphics but also because I have only seen three other crews around here and they are just factory stock.
If anyone is interested I got the graphics here Graphics
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

There are more CCs in this little one horse town than there are 2nd gen Beetles and I have no clue why. There is a sonoma crew here with GMC wheels that I know I have only seen on Jimmys and the owners look older than dirt so, they didn't mod the truck.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

04crewvt wrote:Thanks for the compliment. The graphics were a bit of a pain to install (about 1 1/2 hours each side mostly to make sure they were even on both sides as well as doing all the cutting around the door handles/body gaps and on the other side the gas door, but it really makes the truck stand out.
I believe it, it took me like 2 hours (total), to install those "Synergy Offroad" decals on the side of my blazer. The last thing i wanted was to have them come out crooked. I really like your CC, i love the color.

Reed... lol thanks, i figured it'd be an ok pic since it has the ZR5 rims.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Around here it's Mini Cooper's - or is that speed bumps? - that plague the roads. Nothing quite like getting stuck behind one on a snow covered hill with no place to pass to make you wish you could just go over them and be done with it.Image
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

I guess its just personal preferance but I always went black out. I think it makes the tires look bigger. My Blazer had white out when I bought it and I turned them in when I bought the new rims.Image
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]