Rancho Rs5000's Died.....Got Bilstein's

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rancho Rs5000's Died.....Got Bilstein's

Post by gocntry »

SomeCrew wrote:I'd like to thank Advanced Auto Parts for selling me a 75 dollar axle that lasted 1 whole day! Even the GM axle lasted longer than that!
I Can Relate To That, I Bought A Set Of 4 Rancho RS5000 Shocks In January 2004 From Advance Auto, Within A Couple Months Of Installation I Got The Rancho Shock "Thud Noise". The Handling Seem To Progressively Get Worse And The Front End Started Making All Kinds Of Racket. After Searching For Any And All Known & Unknown Problems With The Front End And Not Finding Anything Out, The Handling Got So Bad I Didnt Even Like Driving My Crew Anymore. :x
I Finally Broke Down And Ordered Some Bilstein Shocks For The Front. When I Took The Rancho Shocks Off The Front I Could Completely Compress Them, Throw Them On The Ground And They Wouldn't Even Attempt To Spring Back Out. Both Fronts Were The Same Way.
I Have Only Had The Truck Off Road Maybe 3-4 Times In The Past 2 Years The Rest Is Street Driven.
So Either My Rancho's Were Garbage, Or ADVANCE AUTO Just Sells Returned / Recycled / Used Parts As New You Got Me.
Anyway The Bilsteins Are AWESOME, There Are No Noises At All Comming From The Front Of My Truck And It Handles Great.
:D

Sorry About The Long Rant But That's My Story And I'm Sticking To It. :lol:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I am sure glad i didn't buy those Rancho5000's i was lookin at yesterday ....
I am going to cheapy route today , Monroe Sensatrac's , on sale and i don't really care if they are not best for offroad , I don't plan on using this truck for longer term period .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

my rancho5000s are fine they have been on for over a year now
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

i ahve bilsteins and have nothing but good thins to say about them.
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't think you'll be disappointed this time.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

Its my understanding that bilsteins can be rebuilt when they wearout.
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

Anyone have experience with the Rancho 9000's (air adjustable ones)? I talked to a jeeper who liked em but Im not sure how well they'll do on our heavier CC.
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

rick wrote:Its my understanding that bilsteins can be rebuilt when they wearout.
Some models can. Not the heavy duty and OEM though.
Unless damaged, I doubt that you'll wear a set out though. The Bilsteins on my old S-10 are still performing adequately after 150k miles.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:I don't think you'll be disappointed this time.
Well It's Been 10 Days And No Complaints At All, The Bilsteins Are Some Really Nice Shocks.

I Also Have The polyurethane Kit For The Front Sway Bar To Do This Weekend. :D
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'm considering a swap to Bilsteins in the front now.... I know I've been soooo pro ProComp. They're great shocks, but after adding the poly swaybay endlinks and stuff, my front end is too stiff. It corners great, but bumps make me feel like it has no suspension on the front. Maybe Bilsteins will increase my ride quality a bit. Any opinions?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

wamason wrote:I'm considering a swap to Bilsteins in the front now.... I know I've been soooo pro ProComp. They're great shocks, but after adding the poly swaybay endlinks and stuff, my front end is too stiff. It corners great, but bumps make me feel like it has no suspension on the front. Maybe Bilsteins will increase my ride quality a bit. Any opinions?
I like my bushing kit with my HD Bilstiens but, ever since my 97 ZR2 with it's stock Bilstiens, I have been a believer.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I'm getting an awful lot of creaking metal to metal noise from my front end lately. I wonder if my Rachos are beginning to shift a bit too. I'm surely long over due for the poly swaybar bushings though and for the price, I'll give that a shot before replacing the shocks again.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]