2 inch spring block vs tb crank

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

2 inch spring block vs tb crank

Post by RocK »

Spring blocks would be the same thing wouldn't they except they would not load the torsion bars as would cranking them up right? Taking that a step further couldn't you just swap in a taller spring and gain a more even load with the new rear springs. Just a thought... so far.
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

The issue with the torsion bars is not that the bars can't take the tension. I mean they're "torsion" bars, right? It's more about the angle of the half axles meeting the cv joints. So, while changing the size or position of the spring would take tension off the torsions bars, it would result in similar cv angle.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Thats what I meant... in a round about way lol. I just dont want to load my bars with that much of a load. The springs would be taking the load and the cv angles would be roughly the same.

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WTF.

I have read these posts five times and still can't make sense of it.

Am I losing it? Are you guys just conspiring to double talk?

Spring blocks would have to be used on the rear , and would lower the rear.
This would have nothing to do with the torsion bars.
Taller springs is a term for coil springs and we don't have them anywhere, so I'm lost there again. Rear springs are mentioned and increased arch is what you need for a raise.

For the front it is nearly impossible to crank the torsion bars far enough to have CV problems and still be correctly aligned. There is just not enough adjustment to correct both the camber and caster.
Without installing longer upper a-arms I don't see any way to crank too far. (That is just me though)

I guess I'll just stay lost for this thread.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I dont think your lost HJ im thinking toe other 2 are :)

If what rocks thinkin its a leveling kit for coil over springs. Or maybe im lost also
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

hmmmm.......i don't recall front springs......(runs outside to check)........nope :(
lol, HJ if you're lost count me in there with ya
:lol:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

isn't there a spring (coil) above each of the front wheels?

I assumed Rock was speaking hypothetically about replacing that spring with a taller one or adding a "block" to make it longer.

I guess I was wrong. thanks for not piling on and becoming deliberately insulting. :roll:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:......................WTF. ............................
:roflmao:

No conspiracy that I know of :lol:

If it started with anyone other than Rock, I would suspect it :lol:

I just had to sit back and scatch my head with the mixture of TBs and springs :bonk:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That may be where the confusion lies.
2wd use coil springs in the front suspension. 4wd needs the room for the axleshaft (halfshaft) to drive the wheel so they use torsion bars instead.

There are such things as spacer blocks for coil springs. If they bolt to the frame, or a-arm they would be ok. If they are not attached , they tend to come out too easily.

Longer coil springs might be an option, but usually they just increase the springs coil diameter to create a stiffer, or higher spring rate. A stiffer ride is the biggest part of what you get with maybe a couple inches of z height.

Lifting a 2wd spindles and longer a-arms are the way to go. A small , budget lift can be done by stepping the a-arm.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

second that wtf :bonk:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

third that wtf :bonk: :?
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Ok, Ok, my fingers were pounding before my mind was thinking... Barch that is exactly what i meant... All yall else... ya get a free one, laugh it up... I'll prolly never live it down. :)

Ill be crankin away next sunday...

"Watch This"