New shocks, new shackles....time for TB crank?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

New shocks, new shackles....time for TB crank?

Post by jajwrigh »

I think I should do a mild TB crank to level out the front of my truck a bit. How soon afterwards would I have to do an alignment? I am looking for an inch to an inch and a half. One more question.....does the truck have to be off the ground to crank the TB or not? Let me know what you guys think... :P
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

immediately afterward, as it will not be safe to drive. The toe and camber will be off.

You should raise the truck to take some of the pressure off of the suspension while adjusting the bars. It can be done without though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

Post by jajwrigh »

Good info thanks HJ...
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

Post by jajwrigh »

I have a 2.5 mile drive to the alignment shop tommorrow....will I make it safely after I crank? I hope so...
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

Post by jajwrigh »

I spent the last few hours trying to get the front wheels even...not even close!! I tried the tb crank with only the front of the truck on jackstands, and I tried with it setting on the ground. The driver's side is always higher no matter what I do. I think something is wrong with the passenger side of my vehicle. I will find out in the morning when I take it to the shop. I will also see if the get the tb set properly.
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

are you hitting bottom on the pass. side it should be no problem to get it even if your on even ground just go 1/4 turns then measure
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

Post by jajwrigh »

The passenger side is way in and the driver the opposite....I am going to the shop now I hope they can figure it out. :x
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I think that a lot of our trucks were like that somewhat. Your's might be an extreme example. I know that when I turned my T bars, the passenger side sat lower than the driver side, yet the passenger side was already cranked more than the driver's. :? I just cranked the passenger side as much as I could, leaving a few turns before maxing out and adjusted the driver side to sit even. All in all, I think I got about an inch. I did this about 4 or 5 months ago (I think) and mine didn't settle any. Both sides sit at exactly 35 inches from ground to fender lip. (I have the 2" BL, & 30" tires, also.)
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

Post by jajwrigh »

I was denied an alignment today because the shop said my lower ball joints were loose. Damn GM for taking so many shortcuts. You shouldn't be replacing anything on a vehicle with 27k miles!! My hondas never had any problems and I drove them hard. It looks like Moog will get my business Monday. I want stronger parts on my truck and I can't pass up their lifetime warranty either.
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

the 2 bolts for the TBs wont be even when adjusted
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

Post by jajwrigh »

So are you saying once I get the balljoints replaced and crank the tbar and actual get the front to sit even, it will be different under the truck?
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have read in places that the driver's side is a little lower to compensate for the slope of the road. They (the road) are usually higher on the left side (center of the road) for water drainage. Having an unequal number of threads showing is quite normal.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

on my driver side I would say i have 5 turns or more and the pass side maybe 2 turns left
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

jeff024 wrote:on my driver side I would say i have 5 turns or more and the pass side maybe 2 turns left
Yup! Same here.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]