Can I run 31" MT's w/ 2BL + 1.5shackles + 1.5" T B

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Can I run 31" MT's w/ 2BL + 1.5shackles + 1.5" T B

Post by Blaze One »

I have a 99 Blazer 4x4 , I know not a CC but similar suspension .
I see some people that can run 31"s with the combo listed above , and some that CAN't .
IF anyone has some info , with facts and/or pics to back it up that would be great . I don't want to buy all the part and then find out I can clear a 31" tire .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There are many reasons why it will and won't work.
Some has to do with the suspension , or how much it has settled over the years.
Then there is the differences in actual diameter of a "31" inch tire. Smaller import cases can run from 30.2 inches to the domestic ones as big as a 31.2 inches.
As a rule those under 30.5 inches seem to clear pretty well.

Now you have to consider the sidewall design. With rounded lugs at the corner there tends to be better clearance than a squared shoulder offers.

This is all assuming you are using the stock width wheels and offset , or rearspacing. Changes in either of those will affect the clearance as well.

The best you can do is to put a front tire up on a good high curb, turn the tire to where it is closest to the rear of the front fender and measure your available clearance. Leave 1/2" clearance and the rest can be tire.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

ok thanks , here is some more info then . I will be using the stock Zr2 style rim , and will not be doing any major offroading , it is just for looks since i hate the way it looks like a van now ! . I will probably use a Goodyear MT tire or a BFG MT . And I am currently tryin to find some fender flares for my truck so i can Trim a liittle . Do you know of any ? I have for some for the CC but not the blazer .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Look for the actual diameter. 30.7 will likely rub, but with some "fender massaging" , not too bad.

PM bubaloo1983 , Rumor has it that He may have tried to make the rear Skidz flares fit a 2 dr Blazer.

If you are patient there may be other options too. Mike at Diversified Creations has had a set of his cut-out-flares installed on a Blazer. Who knows how long it will be before they are available though.

I can not speak for either , as I am running Bushwacker flares on mine. They are not cut-outs. I am clearing 30.7" Geolandar ATII+'s running 1.25" spacers on the front. Things are close, but it works.

Food for thought :mg:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

So you are running a 30.7" tire ( 31's ) with the above mentioned mods with the flares ? if i were to get some bushwacker flares , would it cover up the area where i may have to trim ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Blaze One wrote:...if i were to get some bushwacker flares , would it cover up the area where i may have to trim ?
Nope. They will further reduce your available clearance.
The rears are good though :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

well it looks like the guy who made the cutouts for the cc's is working on some for the blazer . and he is just down the road from me too . I will wait and see what he comes up with . I may beable to run a 31 with no lift at all !
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Blaze One wrote:... I may beable to run a 31 with no lift at all !
That would be nice.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

I am now running 31's BFG MT's with no lift, no shackles, and no TB Crank. Just trimmed the wells on the front only. the rears are fine.
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

is this before or after the install of the flares ?
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

http://home.jam.rr.com/adrenalnjunky/bigS10.jpg

Blaze - I'm assuming you're the guy that has been emailing me - so I'll post this here - that is a Truck with the TM5" lift, 2" BL, and 35" tires on 17" rims.

The flares there are bushwackers - but I think that they have been taken out of production. I'm hoping Bubbaloo getsa nice set made in the meantime :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

That sucks that they are out of production , Bub is going to be eventually be working on making some for the 4 doors but it takes time . That is a nice blazer though . I won't be doing a 5"lift since this is my dd and I wont ever use such a lift to its potential .

ps> would adding rear 1.5" spacers make a huge difference in the clearance i would have ? with a stock rim.
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

well i did cut my fenders so the tires would fit in the front. Although I knew that the flares were gonna be in the picture. So all in all after the flares? lol
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

If i were to put 1.25" spacers on the front and/or rear , would that allow me to have more clearance and run a larger tire ? BTW- I will be cutting my fenders like the cc's are cut for the skidz flares .
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

the rears will be fine but if you add spacers to the front its gonna push to wheels out closer to your fenders . With a 2in BL I think your problems will be solved .
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

ok . so I will only put them in the rear . I am waiting to see if Bubaloo makes some 4dr flares or not . So I was thinking that if I do a 2"BL , 1" tbar And then when i cut the fenders for the flares I was hoping to fit a 32" tire in there . bubaloo said I can run a 31" with out a lift at all , so maybe with the above mentioned lift I can fit a 32" hopefully . Every inch Counts !
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

i put some 30's on my truck with a tb crank and some helper leafs in the rear, i have put it at full lock and looked i still have at least two inches of clearance if not more, i havent put it on a curb, but i have played around a little and havent noticed any rubbing issues, i think i might be able to run a 31 with only minor rubbing issues
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
michael_4x4
Crew
Crew

Post by michael_4x4 »

on average how long should it take to put on the set of new shackles....
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looking for tools, getting them out to the truck, reviewing threads on the topic. An hour maybe.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]