T-bar keys

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

T-bar keys

Post by ZIGGY K »

Hey, what are t-bar keys ??? are they an alternative to the t-bar crank ?? is it easier to align with the keys ?? do they lift the front end ?? THANKS
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

they are what the adjusting screw uses to put torsion on the bar. you can get aftermarket keys that change the position of the bar and you can gain lift without adding more torsion to the bar. but i really think they are meant for those who have added things like a heavy winch and do not have any thread left on the adjusting screw to set the ride hight.
as far as for the alignment ,i would go with ,it will not make it any easyer. :evil:

Helo, somecrew get that rig aligned yet help us out here :D
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: T-bar keys

Post by HenryJ »

ZIGGY K wrote:Hey, what are t-bar keys ?...
The have been also called "Porkchops" , "indexers", "keys", and "adjusters".

Jeggers is right this is the lever to which the adjustment bolt makes contact. Moving the adjuster bolt rotates the torsion bar, thus increasing or decreasing ride height (Z height).

The aftermarket "keys" are clocked differently allowing them to turn the torsion bar further than the stock keys will.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

I have the t-bar keys, and my alignment was no problem. Good thing about them is I got about an extra 1.5" out of the front and have absolutely no crank on them yet. Well, I do have a half crank on each side, thats just to make sure the adjuster bolts dont fall out :D
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

SomeCrew wrote:I have the t-bar keys, and my alignment was no problem. Good thing about them is I got about an extra 1.5" out of the front and have absolutely no crank on them yet. Well, I do have a half crank on each side, thats just to make sure the adjuster bolts dont fall out :D
Sounds like you may have something there for owners having difficulties. Where did you find them?

Thanks,

Reed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

f9k9 wrote:
Sounds like you may have something there for owners having difficulties. Where did you find them?

Thanks,

Reed
I got them here. http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp ... p&ID=87643

Another little technique we did, gave me the ability get get that lift WITH THE AFTERMARKET KEYS without any crank, is we dropped the lower control arms down, put in the torsion bar, and rebolted up the lower arms. This gave a the bars a little load without having to crank the bolts.
Last edited by SomeCrew on Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:
SomeCrew wrote:I have the t-bar keys...I got about an extra 1.5" out of the front and have absolutely no crank on them yet. ...
... you may have something there for owners having difficulties...
Ahem...:!:
(Bite tongue, bite , bite , bite) :hide:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Oh just say it Henry, you know you want to...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

SomeCrew wrote:Oh just say it Henry, you know you want to...
Wheew, thankyou! I thought I would explode! :lol: ;)

Aftermarket indexers just allow you to exceed the amount that the stock indexers would clock the torsion bars.
AIM Industries wrote: TORSION KEYWAYS allow you to crank UP/DOWN your torsion bars 2-3 inches more than the stock adjusters

Now if you can already exceed the available adjustment in the upper a-arm excentrics, why would you need to buy aftermarket indexers just to back the bolt out far enough to be in the same position that the stock indexers were?

The "other" 2" lift kit manufacturers supply longer upper a-arms to correct the negative camber that exists when the bars are turned beyond what the stock indexers could achieve.

The variable here is that you have a lift and your upper a-arms have been relocated. This may indeed have changed things enough to allow you to clock the torsion bars further that stock.
However Superlift boasts about retaining the stock geometry, so I doubt that this is the case.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Settle down HJ, I was looking down the road. :lol:

Remember I have one side with very few threads showing after the "EX" dealer backed mine down. At 9 K I doubt that I have T B sag and when it does happen I was thinking about alternatives. :idea:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Yea, really they are intended for people whos torsion bars are very worn.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

SomeCrew wrote:Yea, really they are intended for people whos torsion bars are very worn.
Thanks, I wasn't looking for any more lift (at least not until I have aftermarket axles, boots, and ball joints0 :D

Just want to maintain what I have.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...Just want to maintain what I have.
Should the time come that your bars are so weakened there is not enough adjustment. Why would you want to twist them some more?
New torsion bars would be a better investment.
I don't think that this is going to be an issue though. My first Gen is pushing 20 years old now, and doesn't need torsion bars yet. Granted it doesn't get wheeled hard anymore, but still it did have a rough first life.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Should the time come that your bars are so weakened there is not enough adjustment. Why would you want to twist them some more?
New torsion bars would be a better investment..

f9k9 wrote:.............. At 9 K I doubt that I have T B sag and when it does happen I was thinking about alternatives. :idea:

There you go :thumb:

Another "ALTERNATIVE" for running out of threads. What bothers me is that at 9K I am looking at them. I wonder if 1st gens are stouter though.
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

somecrew you'll have to let us know how your cv shafts hold up with the extra lift and added stress of 35's...especially if you're going to take the truck off road very much. i would have done a shackle and t-bar crank but my truck is a daily driver and i figured superlift spent alot of time and money figuring out how to give me 6" of lift and still have stock geometry. i'd like to go taller but i'd like to see how your set up is working after you get some real miles on the truck before i give it a try myself.
[size=75]2004 s-10 crew cab with 6in. superlift, 2in. bodylift, 31x12.50 pro comp mud terrains on 15x10 eagle alloy 589's[/size]
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

am i better off going with the keys oppossed to the t-bar crank ?? as far as wear to the front end
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ZIGGY K wrote:am i better off going with the keys oppossed to the t-bar crank ?? as far as wear to the front end
I don't think you understand them :roll:
HenryJ wrote:...The aftermarket "keys" are clocked differently allowing them to turn the torsion bar further than the stock keys will.
They are the "t-bar crank".

They just allow you to crank further.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

to sum it all up ,get a lift kit. if you want a little lift go with the bds 5" if you want a little more then go with the superlift 6" kit. if you just want to run stock wheels and 30's or less get a pa bl. If you want to be a big dog then go with the 6" and 2". if you want to be crazy then go with the 6" superlift and 2" perfomance accesories bl and 2" superlift. :rant: hey lift aint cheep.
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

henry j thanks for the info
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ZIGGY K wrote:henry j thanks for the info
Hey no problem, I hope I don't come off as a jerk :oops:
I really want everyone to understand what they are and how they work. I do think that they can be valuable , as in applications where there is no other option for increasing the Z height.
Case in point would be Quickbiker's truck. The added weight of the brush bar and winch sagged the front signifigantly. He wanted to raise it back up. With there being no heavier bars readily available the indexers were a cost effective solution.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:shrug: was it something I said :shrug:

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

If you still are considering a tb crank it real is not worth the extra wear on the front end, before my lift i had a inch or two out of them and my ball joints were starting to wear after a few thousand miles.

hey somecrew good luck man :wink:
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

I am telling you guys, my geometry is still fine, even with the keys, I have that brushguard on there which could possibly be helping that out, but its not that heavy of a guard. I have not had any problems yet, even though it is way too early to tell yet. Who knows.... I will keep you all updated with the wear and tear as I put miles on my truck...
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

i was just wondering with the wear and tear of just a 1" to 2" t-bar crank some people are having on their crews why ask for more problems with the use of these keys ???? :shock: :shock:
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Only time will tell. :P

with or with out it still the same
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If ya don't mind another question.....

Post by Don »

That's exactly what I'm wondering about the geometry of the systems...with just having the new axels put in I don't want to run the risk of wearing them out in 6 months or so. I would like to know at what angle the CV's can run without destroying them to soon...mine are a ways from being level. Or put another way straight from the trans to the wheel.... I think yall have referred to it as the "Z" height...
I know the wifes riceburner 4Runner the CV's are straight no angle at all... and it sets alot higher than my truck, but I know that's a totally different suspension with coils and all. But the thing is the angle of the axels... :?:
Know what I mean Vern??
[size=75]It was just working....
02 ZR5 added tint to front windows,Huskys in the pan and Ultra X bed liner,VentVisors.
Bilstein shocks all around..
Hope to raise it up someday..[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HJ can give you all dynamics of what all of this is about but, our shafts are just designed to angle down from the center of the vehicle.

You are looking for the same answer as I am, as to what degree of angle is correct for us. The "Z" hgt issue.

I am still trying to work with GM and trying to get an answer at what is the current Z specification.

I had a solid ally for awhile on this subject (he manages 3 dealership's service departments) and supplied me with their current Z specs which are the same that are found on the home page under trim measurements.

Suddenly within the last 10 days the guy tells me that he thinks that the Z hgt spec found in "forty three eleven" different "official" sources is a "typo" :rant:

I am beginning to think differently about the guy on the grassy knoll :lol:
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

AND HOW
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

SomeCrew wrote:
f9k9 wrote: I got them here. http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp ... p&ID=87643

Another little technique we did, gave me the ability get get that lift WITH THE AFTERMARKET KEYS without any crank, is we dropped the lower control arms down, put in the torsion bar, and rebolted up the lower arms. This gave a the bars a little load without having to crank the bolts.
Nice find! First I've heard of anyone selling re-indexed keys seperately! I found the SL keys for me on ebay, but that's easier! I'll link'm on my page. Sweet!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]