SAS / SFA , What is involved?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

SAS / SFA , What is involved?

Post by SomeCrew »

I really would not mine doing SAS as a project, but that sounds really expensive and time comsuming...

Split topic-HJ
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

SomeCrew wrote: but that sounds really expensive and time comsuming...
time consuming........... YES very, I spent a month of almost every free minute I had working on it. even when I wasn't working on it I was researching and ordering parts.

Expensive..........Well yes and no. It depends a lot on wether you do it yourself or not. If you have a shop do it, it will be hella expensive. do it yourself and you could probably get it done for 2g fully working and with a front driveshaft but not including wheels and tires.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Alright, well HJ will probably make a new thread out of this, but I will ask here anywho. What all is involved in a SAS swap? Like parts, work, etc...
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

SomeCrew wrote:Alright, well HJ will probably make a new thread out of this, but I will ask here anywho. What all is involved in a SAS swap? Like parts, work, etc...
New front axle, leaf springs or coilovers depending on which you want, longer driveshaft, dropped steering arm, new shackle mounts welded to the frame (if you do leaf springs), probably re-gear the rear axle or replace it alltogether, extended brake lines. That's just for startters...I'm probably missing a lot of details.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

AZS10Crew wrote:
SomeCrew wrote:Alright, well HJ will probably make a new thread out of this, but I will ask here anywho. What all is involved in a SAS swap? Like parts, work, etc...

New front axle, leaf springs or coilovers depending on which you want, longer driveshaft, dropped steering arm, new shackle mounts welded to the frame (if you do leaf springs), probably re-gear the rear axle or replace it alltogether, extended brake lines. That's just for startters...I'm probably missing a lot of details.

OK, DJ, I figure I owe you this little "Speach". One more cost nobody ever talks about: If you screw it up, it can cost your entire truck (and possibly your life if it's unsafe)! No kidding. I've been reading a lot over on S10Extremist.org about doing SAS (or some call it SFA). That's a good place to go to learn about the swap because there are a bunch of them that have done it, and lots of pictures, but (if you hunt the archives) you will also read the horror stories of the guys who tried it and ruined their trucks. One of the changes involves cutting ALL the stock brackets off the front and possibly cutting and moving cross members depending on axle clearance so it's irreversible. If you don't like the way the finished truck drives/behaves afterwards, and it WON'T drive like stock, then too bad. You're stuck with it. Like I said, there are a lot of good success stories over there as well. I thought about doing the swap on my Blazer (wife won't let me touch the crew) but changed my mind after I weighed all the pros and cons and realized my Blazer would spend 98% of the time on the street, so drivability and handling become the deciding factors. I decided to leave it mostly stock but might eventually do a 5-6" suspension lift.

Not trying to scare you out of the idea. If you really want to do SAS then go for it, but make SURE it's what you want. That's basically what they told me on S10extremist.org when I started asking about it. They also told me to read everything I could find about doing the swap before I go near the truck with a tool. It sounded like good advice to me so I figure I'd pass along the wisdom! :)
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

We have had this discussion A LOT on zr2.com

This entire thread is about the pros and cons of the solid axle swap and also a list of the people who have done it.

http://forum.zr2.com/ubb/noncgi/ultimat ... forum;f=60

I dont read extreme very often but here is another site that has A LOT of info on the SAS and everything else.

Here is the home page, they have a lot of pictures of solid axle trucks.
http://s104x4.com

Here is the forum
http://s104x4.com/phpbb
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Thanks for the info guys!

Its just something that interests me, maybe a project one day down the road when there is nothing else to do with my truck and I am feeling adventurous!
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

quickbiker wrote:I like this setup: http://www.angelfire.com/wv2/tech/steering.html

:P
Now THAT is some serious flex! :shock:
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

I have the same steering setup on my truck but done from the passenger side Steering arm ( acts more like an Idler arm ) instead of putting all the stress on the steering box, but its a good set up
[size=75]GO BIG or Go Home
SFA - Dana 44 - front & rear - 4.88 gears - 39.5x15x20's[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

if you have shop and tools and fabrication skills and another car to drive, then go for it.

yes, you cant go back to stock, but you can ruin your truck. you can always fix it if you dont do it right the first time. its just steel.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]