From nadir

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Snakeboy88

From nadir

Post by Snakeboy88 »

Hello all I'd just like to get to know some of you, and you all know me! I don't get to the internet everyday, but I'd like to get around eventually! My name is Daniel, and I'm 16 from Glendale, AZ. For my first car, I had a 63 chevy fleetside. I sold that lug, and my mom bought me a 1999 2WD S10 Reg cab, with an I-4. SO I drive it around... it's like new, but being the dirt hog I am, with my dirtbike normally, I look at this truck as a something sitting there screaming at me to do something with it. It's about as stock as you can get other than the sound system.

I would love to do some crazy stuff to this truck. I am dying to get it off-road, lifted, maybe some 33 BFG, but I know nothing about these midsize trucks. All I have to say is that I love it. It's so small, and fast, and convinient! Now I only have a few hundred dollars to start, but I'll have money comming in soon. I eventually want to drop a bigger engine in, lift, tires. You also can't tell me it's only a 2WD, because in my friends Ranger, which has nothing on Chevy, we do some crazy sick stuff. I'm not talking about heavy mud bogging, but I'd like to be able to have a sick looking rig, and have some fun on the weekends. I come here looking for direction

I was wondering if someone can give me some direction. My mom bought the rig for 6,500, and isn't in to me selling it at all. I would LOVE to have a supercrew, lovin how it looks and fits a lot of people, but I don't think that it's feasible to my mom. So my question is, WHAT FIRST? Since I won't be able to do anything crazy soon, I'd like to know what you guys think would be the best first few buys, and would like some suggestions on engines, lifts, tires, and anything else! Thank you SO much for your time, and I will REALLY appreciate any help! Thank you all!

P.S... I know it's not a supercrew... I'm dreaming...

THanks,
Dan
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Welcome :wave:

I'm not really sure how much help you are going to find here since crew cabs are not 2wd and don't have the 4 cyl.

You may want to look into the forums that have lots of pre-runners (Prerunners.net forum). That is the direction that it sounds like you are wanting to travel.
The lift would be on the top of the list and for 2wd it is probably springs , spindles and an axle flip. Then tires. I don't know about gearing as the 4 cyl may be lower geared than a comparable 6 cyl model. That may need to come with the tires, and if you're wanting to play in the mud , add a locker to the list.
There are lots of people getting good results with the 4 cyl. engines. Maybe look into a header, exhaust and an intake.

Best of luck with your ride :D
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Welcome Daniel! :) Does your truck have an automatic or the 5 speed? I think intake and exhaust mods should be done first to get a little bit more power, especially with the 4 cyl. Next I would do a small lift and slightly bigger tires. I don't think you would be happy with 33's and that 4 cylinder, because of the lack of low end torque. It would be a good idea to find out what rear end ratio you have also. There are a lot of helpful people here and I believe some of them have also owned 2wd 4cyl. S10's.

Steve
Snakeboy88

Extras

Post by Snakeboy88 »

Hey guys thanks for such an immediate response! Most sites just turn me down and ignore! My truck is an automatic. My friends dad was offering to swap for a 383 stroker (350 + 400 crank I think), saying he'll make it work. He wants something done to my truck too. But then I'd have way too much power, and no weight in the back. But I want to get it up in the air like 6-8 inches, if it'd be possible. I think that's more of a life dream, not possible any time soon. I just want to be able to go out with a group of guys like you, and keep up a little, and have a TON of fun! I'm going out in a Jeep club this spring break, with my friends CJ. It'll be good experience, but I'm more of a midsize truck guy now. Oh and how much would it be to trade up to a supercrew? Possible you think? If that happened, I wouldn't be able to do anything to it for a LONG time! So I was thinking, stick short cab, short bed, small wheelbase, maybe bigger engine, tires, and lift. Thanks for all of your help!

Dan

P.S. Steve, Napa KICKS! I used to live in Petaluma a while back... I miss it... But this desert here, hard to pass up!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't give up on that four banger. There is lots of room for improvement, and properly geared it can trail ride with most as well as be fuel friendly.

The price of gas is something to think about too you know.

The ultimate would be a long travel kit and tricked out four Gear it lower for the offroad and maybe add an over/under drive unit.

Look around and see what you like, what seems to be working, and what your budget will realistically be. Then step back and be honest about what you will be spending most of your time doing in this vehicle. If it is just a weekend a month maybe a dirt bike would be a better investment, or if it looks like there may be rock crawling in your future then maybe start saving for a buggy.

If you will be satisfied with mild then do a mild suspension lift (the only way to go with a 2wd) and tires. That will get you offroad. Take it easy until you get some skids in place. Then do some mild engine mods, like intake and exhaust as funds permit. Keep it driveable! Don't get carried away! It is easy to want the big engine, but if you only plan on racing that is fine. At $2+ per gallon the four banger will have a lot more fun ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Dan (Snakeboy88) Welcome to the site! :D There are quit a few mods you can do to your truck, what you want to do is find different sites that show all the different mods that they have for your truck, such as lifts and exhausts, here are a few links that might have stuff for your truck to give you an idea, it sure helped me a lot. summit -stylin -rocky- truckstuff Make sure you read as much as you can on this site because it will answer just about all your questions, but don't be afraid to ask questions there are a lot of cool people on this site that will answer any question that you have about your s10 Good luck and have fun!

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Snakeboy88

Post by Snakeboy88 »

What do you mean by mild? I don't really know what you mean by Pre-Runner either. I just want something that can take some abuse, stay a daily driver, and be something to keep up off raoding with someone. I'm just looking into something that will make it so that I have something to work on, work for, and work through.

In your guys' honest opinion, do you think it'd be better to just save up for a jeep or supercrew, but wait for a long time. My mom won't let me sell it, so I have to work with what I got. And I want to use it to the fullest!

Dan
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Extras

Post by killian96ss »

Snakeboy88 wrote:Oh and how much would it be to trade up to a supercrew?
Probably at least double the price your mom paid for your S10, unless you find a really high mileage one. I would just stick with your truck and have some fun.
I used to live in Petaluma a while back... I miss it... But this desert here, hard to pass up!
It's very nice around here, but way to expensive. How do you like the weather there, it's alot different huh. :shock:

Steve
Snakeboy88

Post by Snakeboy88 »

That's what I figured. So do we have any suggestions of what to do with the truck though? I would really love to get it lifted, as high as possible for my I-4! I think I'm expecting more than I can do. I would just love to lift it, get some bigger rubber, make appropriate adjusments and get a few accessories, and go have some CRAZY fun! Eventually I will end up getting a Crew cab like you guys! And I can wait to do it!

Dan
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Snakeboy88 wrote:What do you mean by mild? I don't really know what you mean by Pre-Runner either. ..
Check out the link in my first post to the forum and here is the website - Prerunners.net

Mild , IMO for a 2wd would be under 6" lift and probably around 31" tires.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Snakeboy88 wrote:What do you mean by mild? I don't really know what you mean by Pre-Runner either.
Mild just means don't get carried away with wanting the biggest of everything (suspension, tires etc.) for your truck, especially if it's also your daily driver. The more extreme you go, the more money it will cost to build it correctly. :wink: A pre-runner is just a 2wd truck made to abuse off road, which sounds alot like what you are wanting to do with yours. I almost bought a cool pre-runner S10 a few years ago here in Napa, but I decided against it because of the high mileage (160K)!

Steve
Snakeboy88

Post by Snakeboy88 »

So, what do I begin with? I want to have some fun, and stop dreaming about it! I just want some people or someone to help me go through the process. I need someone to help me find which lift will be best. I'm looking at the TM 5" if they have them for 2WD, or the AIM lift. Both which, I've found out through this website. I just need some help with some guidance, which is why I looked to an experienced S10 site like this!

Dan
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Snakeboy88 wrote:So, what do I begin with?
Researching prerunners
...I'm looking at the TM 5" if they have them for 2WD
Not for 2wd
...I just need some help with some guidance, which is why I looked to an experienced S10 site like this!
As I said you may not find much help here. Most are 4x4's.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

if you want to do something with a 2wd i'd say save your money and get a fab tech 2wd lift.....go for that prerunner look. alot of the lift companies are starting to make 2wd lift but i think fab tech has the most. the 2wd lifts are also alot cheaper than a 4wd ifs lift. then when you get the money you could do fiberglass fenders and bed sides. if i didn't need 4wd for the winter i would have done a 2wd prerunner. it would have been cheaper to build (mainly because 2wd trucks cost much less than 4wd) and a lot less parts to break. go to www.4wheelparts.com to look at fab tech lifts. you don't have to buy from them but it'll give you an idea what stuff costs. you should be able to get a lift spindle for the front and blocks or a flip kit for the rear.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Hi Daniel, welcome to the site!

I have a little info that might help you out.

Here is what I would suggest first off (If I were in your position).

1. Get a decent rear-end locker or some type of posi-traction setup. This will really help in offroad traction compared to a standard open differential. Won't help with ground clearance, but it'll definitely help when you get into a slippery spot. I think they can be bought for around $300-500.

2. Get a winch! Milemarker e9000 Electric Winches can be bought for under $500 brand new. This is your insurance policy. If you get stuck, just hook to a tree, or a buddy, and pull yourself out.

3. FabTech makes a 3.5" suspension lift for 2WD trucks. I don't know the pricing, but you can get on http://www.tyres1.com and contact them for a price. They're pretty cheap on most stuff. I don't know that much about FabTech, because I've never dealt with them, but I've seen their company name all over the place. Also remember, if you go with bigger tires, you'll need to re-gear to get power back, which can be very expensive on a 4x4, but it might not be that much of a 2WD.

4. Buy a complete Skidz Package from Bubaloo (He's a member here). He makes excellent skid plates, as tough as you want. (I'm using one on my truck).

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I must be getting old....Jeff, your message wasn't there when I started my reply :lol: :lol: Took me 7+ minutes to type this little bit :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: welcom to the site . i am jummping in a little late here so i wont say much because i think there some good advise here. so welcome again.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Dan

I spotted this white 2wd S10 the other day, it has a 3.5 FabTech suspension lift.

This might be what you want to do with your truck after you take care of the rear end part and to get more power you would want to get a catback exhaust system like a flowmaster and a fuel injection cold air intake system. You will find all these products at the different sites that have been posted for you to look at. Just remember the bigger tires you put on the more power you will lose, that's why it's important to change your gears.

Here is a picture of my truck next to the 2wd, I have a 6" SL with no BL we both have 31x10.5 tires. Darn thing sits almost as high as mine :!:
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Dan

I was at my local lift shop today looking for a light bar for my truck and saw a 2wd S10 up on racks getting a lift put on. I asked them what lift they were putting on it and they said it was a 6" lift made by CST I don't know anything about this company but it looks like it might be a pretty good lift. Here's there website CST This company makes lifts for 2wd S10's only.

Steve
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I see you went out and got some wheels steve :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Yeah picked those up last week. I have the step bars on order and ordered my superlift skidplate today. Going back and forth between the Westin safari light bar and the ORI front runner Baja Eliminator light bar. Starting to put a lot of money into this truck, my wife was ok with it when I first started and now she is starting to give me stange looks :!: since I found this site about a month ago my savings account is disappearing, but it's all good, my truck is really starting to look good now 8) .