How many with TB crank?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

How many with TB crank?

Post by Pauleo »

How many of you guys out there have the torsion bar crank? Even more important, how many of you had trouble with the cv boots and alignment afterwords? I really want to do this mod but am fearful. I keep having people tell me not to mess with them because I'll be sorry.

Wadda ya think?
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yes to crank, yes to boots and no to alignment problems.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I think I have mine cranked about 4 turns and haven't had any problems (yet - knock on fake wood).
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I prefer to refer to it as adjusted to the upper specified limit ;)

:wave: Yep, I'm cranked too :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

im cranked too in terms of proublems its hard to tell if its from my lift or t bars.
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:I prefer to refer to it as adjusted to the upper specified limit ;)

:wave: Yep, I'm cranked too :D
I may still have a few turns left I could go so maybe I'm not as "cranked" as I think and maybe that's why I haven't had any problems yet. Anybody "maxed" their's?
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

My truck seriously has been feeling like its leaning to the passenger side as of late, I think I gotta crank the TB a little on that side.
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

SomeCrew wrote:My truck seriously has been feeling like its leaning to the passenger side as of late, I think I gotta crank the TB a little on that side.
Mine leans to the drivers side but I don't think it's the trucks fault!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist throwing that one in there. :lol:
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Reminds me of the incredibly funny Larry The Cable Guy.

-"You been drinkin tonight"
-"No why I got a fat girl in muh back seat?"
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I cranked my T-bars pretty far and had the boots come off at about 60mph. One heck of a vibration when that happens. Also, grease flung everywhere under the front end of the truck. It took a lot of work to get it all cleaned up. I packed it back with CV boot grease but had a bear of a time getting them back on because of the angle. The clamps would not go back on and stay on so I ended up buying some big hose clamps to do the job. Afterward, I took to Sears to get the front end aligned and the technician said that he couldn't get aligned like it should be but pretty close. Anyway, that's been about a year ago and so far no problems. I plan on getting the SL 6" lift when I get the money and go back to the normal angle on the CVs.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Yup im cranked about 1 1/4 inches has settled to about 1in.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yellow Hammer wrote:. ......... I packed it back with CV boot grease but had a bear of a time getting them back on because of the angle...........
I couldn't get mine oh until I sat back and thought........duh......put a floor jack under the wheel and lift it only. Was almost no angle and boot went right on and I also used a large hose clamp. :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I cranked up about .75 - 1 inch and have had one boot slip off. Dealer covered it under warrantee.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

3/4" crank, one boot replaced in last 30k miles (warranty), and no alignment problems. :)

Steve
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Retep I'm really suprised that the dealer covered that under warentee with the t-bars cranked.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Yellow Hammer wrote:Retep I'm really suprised that the dealer covered that under warentee with the t-bars cranked.
They'd have to prove he cranked them and that it caused the failure before it wouldn't be covered. The crappy CV boots seem to be such a common problem that I don't think many dealers would question it.
Last edited by AZS10Crew on Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

On my 01 i cranked them up all the way then brought them down to 1.25 and lost a boot covered under warranty. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Yellow Hammer wrote:Retep I'm really suprised that the dealer covered that under warentee with the t-bars cranked.
It's not cranked that much, probably on the high side of allowable spec range maybe a little more. I didn't tell them I touched the t-bars either. :!:
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

O.K.. So it sounds like I'm good to go with doin' the cranking. I'll just have to watch those boots.

As always.....

THANKS EVERYONE!
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]