Lift my 2003 S-10 crew cab

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Lift my 2003 S-10 crew cab

Post by Steve2003 »

I have had my S-10 for two years and just love it. My wife and I like to go skiing most every weekend during the winter season up in Big Bear California. Recently we were on our way back from skiing and ran into a Jeep Cherokee that had went off the edge of the icy road. His back tires were barely holding him on the road from going down a 30 feet drop off. No one would stop to help him as that is typical of Southern California people. Thought I would give it a try at pulling him out and put in in four wheel low and my wheels just spun. Then a big old lifted Dodge pulled up and said I'll get him out. He tried and his wheels just spun too. I threw my chains on my back tires and guess what? Pulled him right out!!! Good ole Chevy S-10!! Now I have decided to lift my truck and put on some all terrain tires. I have been checking out your site and have seen some pretty nice trucks. Now this is where I need someone's help. I have been searching the different lift kits. The 6 inch superlift kit looks like a pretty good deal. I just found a site of a company called AIM Industries out of Mesa Arizona and they say that they have 6.5 lift for the S-10. Has anybody heard of the AIM product before? Any feedback would be appreciated.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Welcome :wave: Glad you found OUR site :D

AIM's lift has earned a pretty lousy reputation from those who have installed it.
People are having better luck with the Trailmaster / TM 5" kit, and The Superlift 6" kits.

Do a search for either and you will have tons of information.
Paul / Quickbiker is a good source of what works for the TM kit. KCustom is a good source for what works about the SL kit.

Enjoy all the information that is here!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

:D Thanks for the great info....where is Ontario Oregon?....my sister lives in the Portland area. What size of tires does the TrailMaster 5" lift recommend? I know the Superlift recommends a 33X10.5....my truck is mainly my work truck to get back and forth to work....I do some very light occasional off roading. Mostly a lot of icy, snow during the winter in the mountains here by. I don't want any problems with rubbing. Basically I want something to look nice and get me through the snow as here in California the Highway Patrol are serious about chain ups, unless you have 4 WD and serious snow tires.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ontario is in that little jag on the eastern border. I can throw rocks at Idaho from here ;)

You might want to consider a 2" BL and some 30's or small 31" tires.

Paul is running 31" tires with his TM lift. I'm not sure if the lift is recommended for the crew cabs, but it does work with minor mods.

One thing to remember is that our wheel well opening is only slightly over 31", so it takes a huge lift to clear turning a bigger tire.

Most have no rubbing issues with 30's even with out a lift. I have minor rubbing issues, but have 1.25" front spacers , 31's and a 2" BL, with TB crank.

Do some looking around and see what you like the looks of.

One limiting factor is gearing. the 3.73's will work with up to 31", but less gearing than that and you won't want to exceed 30".

As I said take some time to see what others have done, and their experiences :D

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

:P Appreciate the info....got a lot to consider!! :shock:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out the www links in members profiles, or links added in their signatures. There are also lots of pics in the members photo albums.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

whatever you do dont go 35s! ( quite quikbiker :wink: )
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Welcome to the site Steve. You may just need a good set of tires. Maybe just a BL. When you go suspension, it is much more expensive and a waste if ya don't put that clearance to work. BL is easy, reversable, not much addes costs. Suspesion lifts can add costs later also. Such as new front drive shaft, etc. Good luck!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

welcome steve!! :) you will find all sorts of info here!!! personally, i went with the 2' body lift with 30x9.5 tires. no problems at all!! and you can adjust your torsionbars for 1-2 inches more.
you will notice a lot of us using spacers,, esp on the rear.....makes a world of difference in appearances!! good luck,,, and have fun!!! :D
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:wave: welcome.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd