How did you Mod your nerf bars?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

How did you Mod your nerf bars?

Post by malkavian »

Oh yeah HenryJ how did you mod your nerf bars to stay up aganst the cab when you did your 2 in body lift?

Split the topic -HJ
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have Westin step bars, so it was not too hard- 2" raised Westin Signature Series step bars

If you have ZR5 step bars then some cutting and welding will need to be done.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

ill have to check on the westins. I was thinking of trying to find some one to trade my brushed aluminum nerf bars, bed rails, and roof rack for there black ones. Those westins look good though,.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

hey get in line, no skipping :!: if somebody wants to trade polished for black then I am first in line :twisted:

:lol:

No but really, anybody wanna trade :cry:
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Am willing to donate mine to a member for shipping and gas when I do my BL. Will do it now with the worthless bed rails :roll:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

f9k9 are u wanting to trade?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... the worthless bed rails ...
I might have a project that I could use the bed rails for, what do you suppose it would cost to get them to Oregon?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

malkavian wrote:f9k9 are u wanting to trade?
Naw, just want the space that they are taking up :lol:
HenryJ wrote:I might have a project that I could use the bed rails for, what do you suppose it would cost to get them to Oregon?
Don't know HJ, Shouldn't be to bad, They are very light. I know I am missing one piece. I think it is one of the four plastic covers for the underside of the bed that covers the access hole to the bolt.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:I might have a project that I could use the bed rails for, what do you suppose it would cost to get them to Oregon?
Don't know HJ, Shouldn't be to bad, They are very light. I know I am missing one piece. I think it is one of the four plastic covers for the underside of the bed that covers the access hole to the bolt.
That wouldn't be a problem, as I don't plan to mount them on the bed :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

same here, i have nerfs and bedrails (polished) don't need either, just wasting space, all i want is the factory black roof rack, i have a bed cover and have removed my nerfs so have no use for either
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Great! :x I just bought a set of nerf bars for my CC and forgot all about the 2" BL! So now I'm gonna have to have them welded or something??? :?:

I guess I'll have to see what's involved when they arrive.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I can take pics of my custom mounts for my westins - but I'm not sure that my rear mounts will be the same as the crewcab mounts.

I managed to weld my tubes directly to the mounts - I had to do that because once I raised my nerfs and mounted them with the bolts - the tubes stuck out about 3-5 inches too far.

I took a bandsaw to mine and cut a few inches off the ends, and welded them directly to the mounts I had fabbed.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I just wondered if there was any reason to mod the nerf bars after the BL OTHER than just an appearance thing. I'm thinking that 2" isn't that big of deal but I guess I'll have to wait until they come in so I can see for myself.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

i raised my nerf bars up after my BL......the wife uses them every time she gets into the truck. i use them to wash the top of the truck.
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Pauleo wrote:I just wondered if there was any reason to mod the nerf bars after the BL OTHER than just an appearance thing. I'm thinking that 2" isn't that big of deal...
After my BL I didn't move my nerf bars...primarily because it simply wasn't going to be "just drill some new holes and mount them" like the hitch was.

Truth be told the functionality is much better "unmodded". Before you could barely get a foot on them and once you did you would almost always kick the door sill with your toe...yeah they sit that close to the body. Now with the BL but standard nerf mounts they sit 2" lower than they did before (actually the body sits higher but whatever)....and you can actually use them if you want. Functionality is definitely better this way.

As for looks...I think they look just fine unmodded. I do wonder if they would hide the frame just a little better if they were modded to sit a little higher, but then you would lose the added functionality. I guess it's a toss-up...but I like mine just fine unmodded with the BL. If you had had these before you did your BL you'd understand what I mean about the functionality, but trust me...they are much more useable unmodded if that is what you bought them for (to be used as opposed to seen). That's my $.02
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Well the bars are supposed to arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm sure I'll be installing them the night I get them. I'll check it out. Chances are, that I won't mod them. I don't wanna go through all the trouble of having them welded. But we'll just have to see. Thanks guys.