Vibration from wheel spacers

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Vibration from wheel spacers

Post by Retep »

Never noticed this before but I get a slight vibration from one or both of my wheel spacers.
I took my spacers off before I took my truck to the dealer (I always do that, not sure why but I do) for my leaking cv boot, and I noticed the ride was smoother. I drove for a few days with the spacers off then after I put them back on, sure enough I get a vibration like a tire is out of balance at about 50 and 70 mph. The vibration is not bad and is not constant. Any one else have this issue?
Now I am really thinking about getting a set of those ebay hub centric spacers.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I guess it really wouldn't take much variation in the thickness or smoothness of the spacer to cause that. a very slight imperfection would translate to an off center wheel axis. maybe you could have the spacers planed/smoothed like a brake rotor?
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

8) That's why I waited untill the eBay guy made hubcentric spacers. NO vibration problems!

You might try cleaning the hub and the wheel mounting surfaces. Rust and corrosion on the wheel and hub can cause vibration.

Another cause might be that the spacers are made poorly.

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I think I am running the cheapest and worst spacer of the bunch but have had no problems..

Mine not only is not hubcentric.. But has also had studs replaced because the originals broke off in flight.. and on top of that they have a smaller mounting surface than my rim does on the rotor.. But I love them still.. They found a good home here.. Thanx again CONMAN and BRULE
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

PRETTY ROSE wrote:I think I am running the cheapest and worst spacer of the bunch but have had no problems..
I believe we have the same spacer. I got mine from the group purchase a couple of years ago. I think Con's spacers were the same.
When I got them, the studs were all crooked, so I sent them back and they replaced with what appear to be much better studs.
This vibration never bothered me before, although I think it has always been there with these spacers. It does bother me now just because I know its there.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]