I Need Shocks!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

I Need Shocks!

Post by killian96ss »

I know I'm way overdue on getting some new shocks since my Crew has 29k miles. Summit is offering buy 3 get one free on Pro Comp and Rancho shocks. Is anyone running these brands of shocks? The 9 way adjustables from Rancho seem cool because you can dial them in to whatever terrain your on. I know Bilsteins are an option also, but this is a good sale. Any opinions? :?
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: I Need Shocks!

Post by Conman »

killian96ss wrote:I know I'm way overdue on getting some new shocks since my Crew has 29k miles. Summit is offering buy 3 get one free on Pro Comp and Rancho shocks. Is anyone running these brands of shocks? The 9 way adjustables from Rancho seem cool because you can dial them in to whatever terrain your on. I know Bilsteins are an option also, but this is a good sale. Any opinions? :?
I had the 5 way RS9000 shocks and did not care for them. They were on my Trooper and they felt light they were not matched correctly to it. It seemed that the settings the shocks were fine, but on rebound, felt way to soft. I ended up replacing them with OME Shocks by ARB. The Trooper is heavier than the Crew so maybe that's why they felt weak. Also I felt that the adjustment was a gimmick as I rarely adjusted them. I knew some people with the in-cab controller and they rarely touched the controls as well. I hear the new 9 way versions are very similar to the 5 way and even the knob will fit on the old 5 way to make it a 9 way.

As for the procomp, I have not had experience with them but from what I hear, get the higher Procomps as the lower 3000 model is rough riding like the RS5000. Esp. since our trucks are not as heavy as the fullsize.

I think if I were getting shocks, I would look at the Billsteins. I hear they are firm but not rock firm and I'm not happy with our stock very soft shocks. If say the Super lift kit does appear, I would probably just use those shocks.

Good Luck,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I've got the Bilsteins on mine and I really love them. Nice and solid but they still compress when you need flex.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

killian96ss wrote:I know I'm way overdue on getting some new shocks since my Crew has 29k miles. Summit is offering buy 3 get one free on Pro Comp and Rancho shocks. Is anyone running these brands of shocks? The 9 way adjustables from Rancho seem cool because you can dial them in to whatever terrain your on. I know Bilsteins are an option also, but this is a good sale. Any opinions? :?
Bilsteins for sure, best mod i've made.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Bilsteins.

Superlift is even using them as their shock of choice for their lifts.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

I Just purchased a set of the Rancho RSX from Summit same 4 for 3 special 143.00 delivered. Have not installed them yet will do so most likely this weekend along with Boise spring kit and TB crank. I'll let you know what I think about them once I do install. I may install the shocks only first and compare that ride to the stock ride before the springs & TB crank. You'll prob. here good and bad about any shock some people like one over the other. I would have gone with the 9000 series but didn't want to spent the money 280.00 vs. 143.00. The RSX will be a significant improvement over the stock ones anyway.
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

bilsteins all the way baby...................
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:I've got the Bilsteins on mine and I really love them. Nice and solid but they still compress when you need flex.
Ditto ^ :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i had bilsteins in the rear off a zr2 and pro comp 9000's in the front. i couldnt really tell a diff between the 2, but i can tell you that the pro comp 9000's on our fronts did just fine...our fronts are pretty heavy. plus the pro comps are only 30 bucks :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

Whats the part number for the Bilsteins. When ever I go to their website and put in my 03 crew they say no shocks available. Any ideas?
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ludwis wrote:Whats the part number for the Bilsteins. When ever I go to their website and put in my 03 crew they say no shocks available. Any ideas?
just try a reg s-10...or zr2
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

ludwis wrote:Whats the part number for the Bilsteins. When ever I go to their website and put in my 03 crew they say no shocks available. Any ideas?
Search on this forum for "bilstein." There's a thread somewhere with the part numbers in it.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote: Search on this forum for "bilstein." There's a thread somewhere with the part numbers in it.
Bilstein shocks

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

we need to put that up on the mod page or something. what do you think?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

Thanks thats just what I was lookin for
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

a2b wrote:we need to put that up on the mod page or something. what do you think?
:roflmao: Hmm... let me see ...I'm having dejavu....Posted: 08 Jan 2003 02:47 pm-
a2b wrote:
HenryJ wrote:
anvil wrote:Just for future info, what did you specify to order the Bilstiens? S-10/Sonoma Pick-up, or Blaser/Jimmy?
Pretty sure I used 2001 S-10 pickup...Here's the part #'s I have from the receipt: Performance Products parts # 137179 and #137174 (qty 2 each)
More info: Bilstein
pretty good info here for the site. i will make a page with this info!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:
a2b wrote:we need to put that up on the mod page or something. what do you think?
:roflmao: Hmm... let me see ...I'm having dejavu....Posted: 08 Jan 2003 02:47 pm-
a2b wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Pretty sure I used 2001 S-10 pickup...Here's the part #'s I have from the receipt: Performance Products parts # 137179 and #137174 (qty 2 each)
More info: Bilstein
pretty good info here for the site. i will make a page with this info!
i am on crack :shock:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

killian96ss, I was just wondering if you bought any shocks yet? I installed my Rancho RSX shocks over the weekend. Made a huge difference. (as just about any aftermarket shock would, over the factory ones) I got a 1/8" lift in rear and 7/16" in the front. I had the Bilsteins OEM and apparently these are not a gas charged shock? At least if they are mine were shot at 6k. These things compressed extremely easy and would not expand on their own. (Hence, not gas charged). They actually expand fairly easy by hand. Actually GM and Bilstein should be ashamed for even making those OEM's and installing them on a "Truck". I can't believe how much better a ride I have now. It basically eliminated body roll in turns. Well I mean at least all 4 tires are stuck to the road on normal everyday driving/turns. As opposed to the tires squealing and howling around those same turns. The overall feel and control of the vehicle is much better as well. I am glad I went with Rancho over the Bilstein, I mean Bilstein may make a good aftermarket product but the way I feel is "Screw'em" if they want to make junk for an OEM version, I'm not going to reward them for that by buying more of their products. I know GM sets the spec's for the OEM version but Bilstein is capable of much better OEM products (Toyota Double Cab 4x4). I would seriously doubt that there is much difference between the Ranch RSX and the Bilstein and CERTAINLY not $80.00 - $90.00 difference. Which would be the case if when you can buy the Rancho with the 4 for 3 special. However, If I had already bought Bilstein's and had them installed, maybe I would be saying "they" were the best and nothing could compare to them?
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Ken wrote:killian96ss, I was just wondering if you bought any shocks yet? I installed my Rancho RSX shocks over the weekend. Made a huge difference. (as just about any aftermarket shock would, over the factory ones) I got a 1/8" lift in rear and 7/16" in the front. I had the Bilsteins OEM and apparently these are not a gas charged shock? At least if they are mine were shot at 6k. These things compressed extremely easy and would not expand on their own. (Hence, not gas charged). They actually expand fairly easy by hand. Actually GM and Bilstein should be ashamed for even making those OEM's and installing them on a "Truck". I can't believe how much better a ride I have now. It basically eliminated body roll in turns. Well I mean at least all 4 tires are stuck to the road on normal everyday driving/turns. As opposed to the tires squealing and howling around those same turns. The overall feel and control of the vehicle is much better as well. I am glad I went with Rancho over the Bilstein, I mean Bilstein may make a good aftermarket product but the way I feel is "Screw'em" if they want to make junk for an OEM version, I'm not going to reward them for that by buying more of their products. I know GM sets the spec's for the OEM version but Bilstein is capable of much better OEM products (Toyota Double Cab 4x4). I would seriously doubt that there is much difference between the Ranch RSX and the Bilstein and CERTAINLY not $80.00 - $90.00 difference. Which would be the case if when you can buy the Rancho with the 4 for 3 special. However, If I had already bought Bilstein's and had them installed, maybe I would be saying "they" were the best and nothing could compare to them?
Actually I have not bought any shocks yet, and I was leaning towards the Rancho RSX also even though most people seem to be saying the Bilsteins are the best shocks for our trucks. I know the Bilsteins are great shocks for my 96 Impala SS, but they are more performance oriented towards autocross and road racing that I do. I am shocked :lol: that your OEM Bilsteins were crap after only 6k miles. Maybe the factory OEM Bilsteins are not of the same quality as the aftermarket ones, but I just don't know. I think I might just go ahead and get the Rancho's. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ken wrote: I had the Bilsteins OEM and apparently these are not a gas charged shock? At least if they are mine were shot at 6k. These things compressed extremely easy and would not expand on their own. (Hence, not gas charged). They actually expand fairly easy by hand. Actually GM and Bilstein should be ashamed for even making those OEM's and installing them on a "Truck". ...
OK, I'm confused the Crew cabs did NOT come with Bilsteins.

ZR2's did , Z71's do , the old S-10 baja and sport did.

Our trucks came with 99 cent AC Delco shocks.

I am still running a set of Bilstein stockers on my old truck with over 140k on them.

Sorry if you indeed did have a problem with a set of OEM Bilsteins, the aftermarket shocks have a lifetime warranty.

If nothing else study the design, Bilstein does not use springs which fade in time, they use a monotube design which promotes better cooling.

Sorry, end of rant...I did do quite a lot of research before making my decision to buy Bilsteins , even with some previous experience.

If you indeed did have OEM Bilsteins, warranty them because a failure in them should be really rare.

Ok, that was really the end ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

HenryJ wrote:
Ken wrote: I had the Bilsteins OEM and apparently these are not a gas charged shock? At least if they are mine were shot at 6k. These things compressed extremely easy and would not expand on their own. (Hence, not gas charged). They actually expand fairly easy by hand. Actually GM and Bilstein should be ashamed for even making those OEM's and installing them on a "Truck". ...
OK, I'm confused the Crew cabs did NOT come with Bilsteins.

ZR2's did , Z71's do , the old S-10 baja and sport did.

Our trucks came with 99 cent AC Delco shocks.

I am still running a set of Bilstein stockers on my old truck with over 140k on them.

Sorry if you indeed did have a problem with a set of OEM Bilsteins, the aftermarket shocks have a lifetime warranty.

If nothing else study the design, Bilstein does not use springs which fade in time, they use a monotube design which promotes better cooling.

Sorry, end of rant...I did do quite a lot of research before making my decision to buy Bilsteins , even with some previous experience.

If you indeed did have OEM Bilsteins, warranty them because a failure in them should be really rare.

Ok, that was really the end ;)

Maybe mine were not Bilstein from the factory???? I was just going on what the Sales Department told me was on the truck??? I wasn't to concerned with them at the time of purchase. I knew that Bilstein is what was on the Toyotas and I had heard good things about them. It would make me feel better to know that those I took off were not Bilstein. They did look like plain old GM stock. There again I was going off what I was told and just figured they were made to look "plain" to help keep cost down??? If those are not Bilstein good, still shame on GM. (but that has always been the case with them and shocks).

HenryJ, I'll take your word for it that Bilstein has better construction of there shocks. I guess I was looking at it front the point of view of not knowing people's budget Etc. Also given my perception of what I thought Bilsteins "OEM" version was. I figured why not get comparable quality and save nearly $100.00 in the process?

killian96ss, all I can tell you is get those stock one's off. If you plan on keeping the truck for the next 70,000 or more maybe you should get the Bilstein. If your not sure that you'll keep it that long. get the RSX and put the extra money in your pocket. You can ride around in your new smooth riding C/C looking like :D ----

Take your wife or girlfriend out to diner with the extra dough. Buy yourself or your kids, if you have any, some new clothes. Or buy some................ Well you get the point.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Bilsteins will be yellow...even the ones that come stock on ZR2's, etc. If you had all black plain-looking ones, they were Delco and they sucked...and the salesman was blowing smoke.

Brule...I thought Z71's came with deCarbons now? They did in 98 when the new Silverado first came out. Hopefully GM switched back though.
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:...I thought Z71's came with deCarbons now? They did in 98 when the new Silverado first came out. Hopefully GM switched back though.
They may, the two Z71's we have in the fleet ('98-'99) have Bilsteins -BTW they are red, at least on the fullsize.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Ken wrote:killian96ss, all I can tell you is get those stock one's off. If you plan on keeping the truck for the next 70,000 or more maybe you should get the Bilstein. If your not sure that you'll keep it that long. get the RSX and put the extra money in your pocket. You can ride around in your new smooth riding C/C looking like :D ----

Take your wife or girlfriend out to diner with the extra dough. Buy yourself or your kids, if you have any, some new clothes. Or buy some................ Well you get the point.
Price is not a concern for new shocks, and I do plan on keeping the truck for at least another 100k miles. So my question is which ones are better, Bilsteins or Rancho RSX? I an very happy with the Bilsteins on my 96 SS, but they are the HD ones and I do a lot of autocross and road racing which they work great for, but we are talking about trucks and off roading now, so I just don't know which one to choose. I wish there was someone on the forum that has tried both shocks or has at least been in another Crew with a different setup. :?

edited name in quote ;) -HJ
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

My wife has a 2000 Blazer. It is the special edition "TrailBlazer" model. Not to be confused with the new style Trailblazer. This one is a Blazer, but in the special "Trailblazer" trim and options. It even says Trailblazer on the rear hatch. It is loaded with every thing you can imagine. Leather power heated seats with special embroidered head rests, Auto trac 4 wheel drive, On-star gps, Bose sound system, special suspension, body and fender trim/flares, console shifter, you name it..........

It came with the "Touring Suspension" package. I do not recall the code for it but it includes sway bars, nylon bushings (I think), and Bilstein shocks. They are yellow and say Bilstein on them. However they feel very soft. I recently put the aftermarket Bilsteins on my 2003 Crew Cab and they are much more firm. I am very happy with them. Could it be that the OEM style Bilsteins, like the ones on the Blazer, are not gas charged? We bought the Trailblazer with about 3000 miles on it and they have always felt soft and mushy. I am tempted to remove a rear shock and test it out.

HenryJ, do you have any info on the specs for these OEM installed Bilsteins?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

HenryJ wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:...I thought Z71's came with deCarbons now? They did in 98 when the new Silverado first came out. Hopefully GM switched back though.
They may, the two Z71's we have in the fleet ('98-'99) have Bilsteins -BTW they are red, at least on the fullsize.
The Bilsteins are red? Or the shocks on the Z71's are red? I was told that the red ones are deCarbons and not Bilsteins. Could be wrong though...
[size=75]Mark
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

AZS10Crew wrote:...and the salesman was blowing smoke.
You know I think he actually just don't know the difference. He told me that after I went back to pick the truck up. We were just talking and he said something to the effect ....."and you have those good Bilstein shocks"..... Like I said I really didn't think much of it at the time. I talked to several different sales guy's (different dealerships) both Chevy and GMC. I think some of them are confused and think that the ZR2 and the ZR5 packages are the same thinks just on different trucks. (Ext. cab vs. Crew cab)
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

perhaps you should inform him that zr5's are only crew cabs and just an appearerance package at that
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher