Torsion bar settings (CV boots loose)

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Torsion bar settings (CV boots loose)

Post by Mike H. »

A few months ago (its posted here somewhere) I had the driver-side outer boot sling out all its grease. I cranked the t-bars back down when I took it into the dealer, and they replaced the boot under warranty. (The boot reportedly had no tear or crack, just "defective", but they never saw the crank.) Then I cranked back up. But I have been concerned with front end wear since then.

Last weekend I traded out my TM AALs for the Daystars I've had sitting around. (The AAL's went to Warn to level him out.) The intent was to drop my rear back down 1", and drop my front to reduce wear. Actually, since the Daystars add 1.5", my intent is to run the front end exactly 1.5" lower than the rear, so the t-bars are at factory setting.

Immediately after the swap, while changing my oil, I pulled my plastic "skid plate" to lube all the fittings. Surprise :twisted: my passenger-side inner boot had already slung out what appeared to be 1000 gallons of its grease. Back to the dealer.......

Ya'll might want to consider this when cranking, use caution, and check your boots for grease slinging often.

I'll post my new height measurements here in a little while after I get outside.

Edited the title so this is not confused with having the Z height dimensions-HJ
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Mine have slung grease as well, with on of them even popping off completely and the metal ring just rotating around whtever it happened to end up on.

I had to pay to have that one rebuilt (no more warranty). And the drivers side is doing the same thing.

I'm keeping an eye on it for now, but I'll be safe and have it rebuilt before long as well
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I had all of mine replaced under warranty about a month ago.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

How high did you guys have your t-bars set?

I think I will be cranking mine a little, maybe .5 - .75 inch when I put on my Boise spring kit, but I don't want to start having cv boot issues. :!:

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I only did about 4 turns, about .75 inch i think.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

One way to ensure the boots don't come off is to replace the useless iron ring with two hose clamps, with the adjusting screws directly opposite each other once tightened. The dealer told me to do this after I had the boot come off three times after I was out of warranty. They said the ring should not be reused after it has come off, it is a sign that the thing is worn out.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

good deal -- I found a spare parts kit for my old intake for my Z24, and it has several of those hose clamps that are proper sizes for this--I think I'll add a couple to my roadside/trailside kit.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Nate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Nate »

they still cover your warranty even with your BL?
"Oh!, you dont like your job? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYONE"
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

According to the Magnusson Moss act, they can't disallow you your warranty coverage unless they can directly link your mods to the issue.

If you havent played with the suspension or drivetrain, a bodylift won't affect the CV joints, therefore GM has to warranty the work.

Not that your service department nazi , er I mean manager, won't try to blame it on everything from your BL to your vent visors, but hold your ground and start walking up the food chain -- the service manager isn't nearly as important as he usually thinks he is.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Torsion bar settings (CV boots loose)

Post by Mike H. »

Mike H. wrote:I'll post my new height measurements here in a little while after I get outside.
Finally got around to taking new measurements. Both sides of the front measured 20.5". Both sides of the rear measured 22.25". These are from dead center of the wheel center cap (middle of the M in GMC) to the lip of the fender opening above.

It was sitting on a very slight downhill facing downward, so the front might actually be very slightly higher than that on level ground. My front is probably set a little lower than some of you guys, but I'm tired of my CV boots slinging grease.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]