Shift Cable Help

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

nickmab34

Shift Cable Help

Post by nickmab34 »

Hey All, first post so please excuse any mistakes.

So, I drive a 03 ZR5 and the shift cable broke, I called the dealership and I was given the part# 15189200. I'm having trouble finding that specific part, however, there are a ton of a similar shift cable (part# 15189198). The only difference I see is that part# 15189200 specifies the NP1 transfer case (Which is what I have) and part# 15189198 specifies the NP8 transfer case. I can't find the length for the 15189200 shift cable. I'm seeing if anyone has any experience with these shift cables and whether they are interchangeable.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I’m a little confused here. Shift cable for what, the transmission? I’m not sure what difference the transfer case would make in regards to the transmission shift cable since they all came with a 4l60e. And when you say NP1 or NP8 are you referring to the glove box rpo code?

There are 2 transfer cases that came in these trucks. If you have 3 dash buttons you have an np233c. If you have 4 dash buttons you have an np236c. Which do you have? You can also double check this by cleaning off the tag on the back half of the transfer case.

You may need to take yours off and compare it to the one you can get. My thinking is as long as the ends are the same, and it is as long or longer than original, whatever you get should work, but I’d try for a length that is as close to original as possible.

Please post up what you find out to help others if/when they have this problem.