Starting Trouble

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Starting Trouble

Post by Horsehammerr »

Checked and cleaned Battery and Posts. New 5w30 Sin. oil. Taking 3-4 cranking cycles to start. What do you think ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Starting Trouble

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Have codes checked even if CEL isn't on. Could have a pending code that hasn't fully set. Then I would check fuel pressure to start. Make you're achieving pressure and holding.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

LoneWolf04 wrote:Have codes checked even if CEL isn't on. Could have a pending code that hasn't fully set. Then I would check fuel pressure to start. Make you're achieving pressure and holding.
CEL ? Pressure Check ? :?: I'm at 198,000 on the ticker and have had no starting problems other than a dead fuel pump twice.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Check Engine Light has been on for FIVE YEARS ! Got Black tape over it. Fixed ! No codes read and now that it's above 20 Degrees it fires right up with no delay. THANK YOU GOD
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Battery is less than a year old but, doesn't seem to be holding charge in cold weather ? :x Alternator charging right at 14.78 at idle , battery at 12.8 30 minutes at rest. ?
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Horsehammerr wrote:Battery is less than a year old but, doesn't seem to be holding charge in cold weather ? :x Alternator charging right at 14.78 at idle , battery at 12.8 30 minutes at rest. ?
Battery dropping down to 12.8V at rest is normal. That is full charge 12.7-12.8V.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks, I was aware that my readings are normal . I just could not find the reason for the very slow cranking and rough start . I have since put my battery on a two day 1.5 amp Trickle charge and what ever that did , all is well . :?:
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Horsehammerr wrote:Thanks, I was aware that my readings are normal . I just could not find the reason for the very slow cranking and rough start . I have since put my battery on a two day 1.5 amp Trickle charge and what ever that did , all is well . :?:
Your previous mention of battery not holding a charge and then indicating it was at 12.8v seemed contradictory. That it why I indicated it was at full charge and it was normal. You may want to check your grounds as well as your starter contacts for corrosion. Could be high enough resistance where in extremely cold temps your're taxing the battery due to temp and corrosion and having slow turnover. When the temp is higher your battery isn't as taxed and can provide enough current to turn over better.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Batteries can be fickle things. Your battery can show full charge with a volt meter but under load be far less. I suggest you have a load test done on it. It needs to stay above 10.5 volts under full load for 30 seconds. Less than that you need to replace it.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks roadrunner , I have indeed discovered loosened Battery connections . Winter seems to shrink some connections and cause leeks and loose contact. Got 'er all tightened up and working right. :roll:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Glad it was simple fix and not expensive for ya! :rock:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Me too ! I'm hitting the 200,000 mark now and headed for a 1200 mile road trip next week. Love this Old Reliable CHEVY !!! :thumb: