Front Axle Hub Question

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

okaussie
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Front Axle Hub Question

Post by okaussie »

How difficult is it to replace the cable from the Front Axle actuator and the shift fork in the Front Axle. Mine is a 2002 with 180k miles on this cable and I have been having intermittent problems with the front axle engaging. I have previously replaced all the hoses, the t case switch, the vacuum reservoir, and the front axle actuator. This has been over a period of a few years. The only thing left is, as I see it, is that cable. Is this something I can do myself??

Also, I have been reading about the Posi Lok cable system to replace the actuator . Some versions replace the actuator and the cable completely with one cable that goes from the shift fork on the front axle straight to the cab to manually engage it and another style that just replaces the actuator and the cable connects to the existing cable and goes to the cab.

I am thinking, due to the miles on my CC, my cable is dry, stretched, or about getting ready to break due to age and miles. That is why is works the way it does.

Any thoughts out there???

TIA

Bill
okaussie
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Front Axle Hub Question

Post by okaussie »

This thread can be closed. I ended up replacing the front axle actuator cable yesterday. We are suppose to get 3 to 6 inches of snow and sleet in the next four days and I have to work. So I will see if my problem is now gone.

Over a period of time I have replaced all the vacuum lines, the vacuum reservoir, the vacuum one way valve, the transfer case switch, the front wheel actuator, the actuator cable and lastly the in cab switch. The only left is the front axle switch that shows the axle is engaged.

Hopefully, all of this has fixed the problem of intermittently engaging the front axle.

BTW mine is an 02 with 184K on it purchased brand new in June of 2002.

TIA

Bill
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

okaussie wrote:This thread can be closed. I ended up replacing the front axle actuator cable yesterday. We are suppose to get 3 to 6 inches of snow and sleet in the next four days and I have to work. So I will see if my problem is now gone.

Over a period of time I have replaced all the vacuum lines, the vacuum reservoir, the vacuum one way valve, the transfer case switch, the front wheel actuator, the actuator cable and lastly the in cab switch. The only left is the front axle switch that shows the axle is engaged.

Hopefully, all of this has fixed the problem of intermittently engaging the front axle.

BTW mine is an 02 with 184K on it purchased brand new in June of 2002.

TIA

Bill
Not to rain on your parade but this still leaves the encoder motor and the tccm as well as possible wiring problems. I did have a problem with the front indicator switch at one time. Hopefully you have it fixed. Also hopefully you lubed the cable when you replaced it. My :2: worth. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
okaussie
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by okaussie »

It shifts into 4wd like it is suppose to. In Park with transfer case in 4wd the front driveshaft does not turn. I tried turning the right front wheel elevated, and now it won't turn either.. All with the engine running so I have vacuum. I backed it out of the driveway this morning to take the dogs to the park and in 4HI and it pulled and turned just like it suppose to.We will see how it handles in the snow and ice going to work tonight..

The cable I removed was really hard to pull back and forth by hand compared to the new one. Hard to connect on the shift fork since you can't see it. It took me about four times of pushing on the cable to get it locked. The rest of the installation was not as bad as I thought it would be...

I hear the encoder motor shift everytime when I shift into 4wd so I thinks that rules it out and as far as the TCCM goes, I have no funky light configurations on the dash.

The front axle switch will be the next thing, if needed.

Thanks RoadRunner,,

Stay frosty..

Bill