Help with fuel pump issue

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

My03zr5
Regular
Regular

Help with fuel pump issue

Post by My03zr5 »

My fuel pump died so I need to replace it, problem is I checked autozone and orelleys and none have one that looks like mine 2003 s10 crew cab zr5 with acdelco pump plastic gas tank, so the offer me the airtex (3566m) and the Delphi (fg0285) the length of the canister and the pump looks about the same, the strainer on the delphi is built in vs my original and the airtex having it outside the problem is the floater direction or orientation is like 90 degrees off to the original one and the actual floater is pointing away from the pump vs my original pointing torwards the pump help me please I need my truck ASAP and can't find the pump that looks like mine any input or parts number will help
Freedom isn't Free.
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Bail you out of jail and tell you what you did was wrong. MILITARY FRIENDS: Will be sitting next to you saying, Damn...we f**ked up...but hey, that was fun!"
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Help with fuel pump issue

Post by LoneWolf04 »

The # they gave you for the airtex is correct. Autozone also can get a delco #MU1773.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't like the airtex. Delphi is good.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
My03zr5
Regular
Regular

Post by My03zr5 »

They told me mu1773 is for extended and single cab and for crew cab is mu1759, i Didnt like the airtex either I ended up going to a shop to change the sending unit they swapped it with a bosh pump and that worked, the problem is the truck before the pump went out will crank but not turn on the first time, then the second time it will crank and turn on normally so when my pump went out I taught that a new pump will fix that issue now with a new pump installed the cranking problem is still there any ideas or causes I have new wires plugs fuel filter and sending unit the ignition module test good and also have a 6 month old ignition coil. My ses light is on because of the o2 sensor wich I replaced about 1 moth ago but it already burned again so I'm confused and out of ideas :(
Freedom isn't Free.
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Bail you out of jail and tell you what you did was wrong. MILITARY FRIENDS: Will be sitting next to you saying, Damn...we f**ked up...but hey, that was fun!"
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I have the Airtex one in my truck going on 4 years now, bought it when I was out of work it was all I could afford. Its probably not the best but its outlasted my expectations.

I had the same long cranking issue. Mine was two fold, first half was the check valve in the fuel pump was bad, second part was the fuel injector spider was bad and it was just dumping fuel in to my engine so it was flooded out when you would go to start it. If you never had the spider changed it might not be a bad idea. Check your fuel pressure, the regulator may be the problem too.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Fuel system tests should reveal the problem.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
My03zr5
Regular
Regular

Post by My03zr5 »

So one mechanic says is the crank sensor and that it needs to be replaced by the dealer as the new one needs to be programmed, then took it to another one and he said it was the fuel pressure regulator inside the intake that I need to replace, I'm having plenty of fun trying to figure this one out, never had any problems with my truck now all of the sudden this one
Freedom isn't Free.
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

The spider injectors/regulator in the intake is the most common problem with long cranking issues. If you have it replaced, get the upgraded unit which moves the actual injectors to the intake runner, rather than the injector/poppet setup from factory. You can tell the difference because youll see wires running down to each injector.

As for the sending unit, my 03 has the plastic tank and some bozo replaced the pump before I bought it, ended up breaking the evap lines and everything...But besides that, the gauge never reads more than 7/8 full when I gas up, and Im going to assume its because the sending unit is positioned wrong inside there. Its an Airtex pump.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

AVTekk wrote:The spider injectors/regulator in the intake is the most common problem with long cranking issues. If you have it replaced, get the upgraded unit which moves the actual injectors to the intake runner, rather than the injector/poppet setup from factory. You can tell the difference because youll see wires running down to each injector.

As for the sending unit, my 03 has the plastic tank and some bozo replaced the pump before I bought it, ended up breaking the evap lines and everything...But besides that, the gauge never reads more than 7/8 full when I gas up, and Im going to assume its because the sending unit is positioned wrong inside there. Its an Airtex pump.

Is your truck working better since you worked on it the other day?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

Gauge works again and fills up fine
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Awesome.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ