front axle seals

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

front axle seals

Post by Lil-j »

Ok, seeing as how I cant get ahold of a gas tank I decided to take apart something else that needs done. This time front axle seals. Both sides are leaking, got new seals but after taking the driver side apart, I quickly figured out that the ones I got are the wrong part. A bit of research has given me part #710491 I think for both sides. I have the left side apart and found there is a plate with 6 bolts the bearing is pressed into. I think I'm gonna have to take off the plate to get the old seal out, am I right?

Now for the passenger side. The CV shaft goes into a tube which I assume has the same seal as the left side, I'm guessing I need a bearing puller to get that one out.

So, in laymans terms. Both outer axle seals are leaking, the ones where the CV shafts go into. Is the 710491 p/n # correct for both sides?

Any special tricks to change these? I have the general idea of how to change them but if someone has done these before and you found a trick or needed advice, please share.
Thanks fellas!
northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: front axle seals

Post by northsnoma »

All i can help you with is saying that yes that plate on the driver side should be removed to take the old seal out and replace. Its just those bolts and comes right off. Hightemp/oil resistant silicone on the that gasket for the plate if you think need be. I put a small bead on
2002 Sonoma Crew
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Thanks man, appreciate the reply. I figured the plate needed to come out. Any idea about the passenger side?
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Well, gothe plate off for the left seal out and changed the seal. So far so good. But now it's raining like mad so I gotta sit and wait it out.
Judging by how much of a pain in the ass the left seal was to change I have feeling the right is going to really suck! Left side was cake considering it was off the truck and I could pound it out from the backside.
northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by northsnoma »

No help on the passenger side, have only had to replace the drivers
2002 Sonoma Crew
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Have replaced the right side twice. After removing the cv shaft I used a small chisel to carefully work around the seal to extension area till the seal came out. Re-installation is a little hard what with having to work around the seal with a hammer or driver with the stub shaft in the way partially. :alert: A WORD OF CAUTION: Take great care not to dislodge the needle bearings from their races in either front differential tube or you will be pulling them for replacement as they are pressed into the housing ends. Don't ask me how I know. Its a sad story. :(
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Got the right side done tue night. Was not fun! The truck came apart easily, and went back together pretty easy too, the seal was a bitch though. I mangled the hell out of it to get it out! I'm it wasnt the best way to do it but it got done and so far no leaks!

Thanks fellas!