Is noise typical when abs engages?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

wnyred
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is noise typical when abs engages?

Post by wnyred »

I've felt like my brakes have been responding halfway decent. Recently winter weather has finally hit. When I am on a snow or ice covered road and attempt to stop,my brakes feel as they are locking up. The pedal gets firmer and theres an audible noise. You are basically not going to stop no way no how. I have never experienced this in any vehicle. I have had a few Gm trucks w/ abs brakes,and am experienced in driving in the winter.
Is this normal or acceptable? I wanted to be sure it was'nt something related to the hydraulic control unit I had replaced several months ago,so I had the mechanic that did it drive in the parking lot to show him the situation. He said its the typical chevy abs. Really? Who would ever buy another one was my response. I thought the purpose was to not let the wheels lock up,but basically you slide until you can take your foot off of the brake.
Any input would be appreciated.
thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Is noise typical when abs engages?

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds pretty normal to me. There can be some problems , but it is more in the driver than the system. The tendency when you feel the vibration in the pedal is to ease up on the pressure. That is the wrong thing to do. To operate properly the pressure needs to be applied quickly and firmly. Strong steady pressure on the brakes and steer through the obstacle.
As the ABS pulses the system applies and releases the brakes much faster than we ever could. This keeps the wheels from locking and losing traction. It is much better than no abs for stopping distances on snow and ice.
Are there better systems out there? I am sure. Newer vehicles have inertial sensors , traction control and auto 4x4 capability. Independent wheel sensors and a true four wheel abs system. That add adds up to more $$ and more headache sometimes.
Offroad any ABS system may not be as good a choice. In sand and loose dirt there is some advantage to locking the brakes. The same can be said for power sliding through a corner. I pull the fuse and run without ABS offroad.
That said if you are in and accident and your insurance company finds out you deliberately disabled a safety feature on your vehicle, you may incur some unwanted liability.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
wnyred
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by wnyred »

Yeah i've thought of that insurance angle thing. I just could'nt believe living in western new york that i had'nt experienced this before if it was normal,the audible noise etc. . Its pretty much a given that side streets,back roads will have snow covering them,or residual ice that is'nt gonna melt fast. I leave for work at 5 in the morning,much of the time things are a great mess. I will definitely play with how it handles now that it wont catch me so off guard.
Thanks
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I describe the noise heard when abs is active as a pulsing-low-pitched-sqwonking noise. I run with my under hood abs fuse pulled all the time. Brakes are much more dependable and longer lived in my application. I completely disagree with Brule on the better braking in snow and ice situations. I have had the experience of rolling through stops in snow on ice and in mud and loose gravel with not only gm products but chrysler products as well as fords. In my opinion abs works well on dry and wet pavement only. All other conditions NO. And as an fyi I've tried pumping as well as light application and firm application of the pedal with equally dangerous and disappointing results.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
urimashe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by urimashe »

i live in alaska were half the year is winter conditions. i found that this trucks abs is not what im used to, and actualy makes me stop at a longer distance then i would have pumping my own breaks, now if im going fast down the road and hit the abs, it does help slow down, but when it kicks on when im only going say 10 mph it actualy slides me more then it would if i pumped the breaks, so i found out if you pump your breaks after the abs kicks in on when you are only going say 5 to 15 mph, it works better then a stomp on the breaks, thats just my two cents on what if ound out.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

As I've said before, most ABS works well. The ABS in these trucks, not so great. GM had some issues for a few years in the brake systems that even the full size pickups dealt with. Newer ABS is much better than what these were. I drive a Ford CVPI everyday and even the older ones had ABS above and beyond what my S-10 has for capability.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
urimashe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by urimashe »

think there is any way to put a newer ABS system in with out any problems?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

urimashe wrote:think there is any way to put a newer ABS system in with out any problems?
Without problems, No. It would be both cheaper and safer to buy a newer vehicle.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK