tire wear on 2002 zr5 crew cab

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

2002ZR5
Regular
Regular

tire wear on 2002 zr5 crew cab

Post by 2002ZR5 »

my tires are wearing on the outside front and i have a little play in the steering and when i jack it up both tires are tight up and down but they have a little slop side to side what could it be? i was thinking tierods or balljoints i am puting new tires on it and would like to fix it asap b4 i mess up the new tires
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: tire wear on 2002 zr5 crew cab

Post by riceburnr2005 »

Ball joints!! Worn ball joints can cause sloppy steering and mess up you're allignment. I know this cuz my truck did the same thing. You have too much positive camber causing wear on the outside of the tire. Get those lower ball joints replaced and when you get new tires you need an allignment ASAP!! While your inspecting you're front suspension be sure to check everything else too, depending on you're mileage it may be time for a front end rebuild.
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Our token active duty Leatherneck is spot on!! I would go on the cheap and have a good alignment shop inspect your junk. If, they won't do that for free then just schedule an appt for the alignment. They will tell you what needs to be replaced before they will align it. Thank them very much and go do it your self. Search youtube, forums. google....etc on the "how to"s. I know it is really much harder than what I am describing but, it can be done.

I have $169 worth of "free loaner tools" from Advance sitting here right now. I need to replace my ball joints this weekend and the quicker that I do it, the faster that money is placed back in my account.

Schedule an appointment before you get the tires installed and fix it beforehand.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

remember if you're ball joints have never been replaced on your rig, the factory ones are riveted in. so if you do them yourself be ready to drill the old ones out, for some not so painful. But i've seen some of my friends spend hours on this. I didn't do mine personally because i had to be on the road for a trip to ohio the next day and i needed an allignment. The shop charged me about 400 dollars for parts and labor. If you do them yourself the price would be however you wish to spend on parts, and maybe a six pack...or two :thumb:
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Drilling out the rivets is not a bad job if you have a sharp drill bit and center punch as close to the center of the rivet as you can.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]