CV axle popped out?!?!

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

dualsport
Crew
Crew

CV axle popped out?!?!

Post by dualsport »

Hey guys-

Anybody ever had one of these GM cv axles pop out when the front end is compressed/articulated? (The torsion bars are already cranked a bit too) I was on a hunt way up north and when I called in on the sat phone, my wife told me the axle had popped out when she unexpectedly hit a frost heave on the road and almost jumped the rig. I got home to find a puddle under the front and the axle popped loose with about two inches. I'm gonna pop it back in and see if the seal with hold and if the retaining ring is damaged, but not holding my breath.

Thanks...
2001 Sonoma CC, TB crank, 2" shackles, 2" BL, Helper Springs, 1.25/2.5 Spacers, 31" BFG ATs, Quadbeams, messed up 4wd switch :) miscellaneous squeaks and pings...
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: CV axle popped out?!?!

Post by roadrunner »

Yes I have. Generally means either the retaining ring is damaged/not fully seated or there is damage in the inner cv joint. I have experienced both scenarios. Not much fun I might add. Make sure you check the needle bearing in the axle housing for damage or missing needles as well.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.