Horrible CREAKING/ Popping noise solved

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

stonoma

Horrible CREAKING/ Popping noise solved

Post by stonoma »

Im new to crewcab.net.Own 2003 gmc sonoma cc zr5. just wanted to post for cc drivers that have the bad creaking and popping noise coming from front of suspension area. I systematically greased the grease zerks on front end including removing sway bar also greased torsion bars and pin ponted noise to the driver side lower ball joint. grease the ball jonts or replace them and it will be quite agian. at least in my case thats what it was.

Ive also installed a six pass flex-a-lite trans cooler and the truck shifts and runs alot better. part # 4118-6 from flex-a-lite comes with everything you need to install. 50$

*note* some of the zerks were not letting grease in. take a tiny phillips screw driver or anything with sharp point and depress the little ball in the center of the zerk to loosen "break free"for grease to pass.

Hope i could help, STONOMA
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Horrible CREAKING/ Popping noise solved

Post by F9K9 »

Awesome first post! Welcome to the board!! I also ran into zerks not accepting grease on the CC. I have a boat load of zerks on my heep and none were accepting grease. Changed out the adapter on my gun and all was well again. Just one more thing to check.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

lower ball joints were the culprit on my truck too.. after i had already dumped money into replacing everything else..oh well at least my suspension is almost all brand new.
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
stonoma

Post by stonoma »

Update on lower ball joints... greasing seems to be just a bandiad to keep quiet . Real fix may need to be replacing them. feeling loose front end and clunk here and there when turning.
Thanks for that info f9k9
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

stonoma wrote:Update on lower ball joints... greasing seems to be just a bandiad to keep quiet . Real fix may need to be replacing them. feeling loose front end and clunk here and there when turning.
Thanks for that info f9k9
Yea i had to replace mine when the alignment shop said the lower ball joints were the cause of the squeaking and looseness in the steering..
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I seem to go through lower ball joints every 20k miles. They just don't want to last.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

How far do you have your Torsion Bars cranked up ? I've had mine at 1 1/2" up for 70,000 miles now and simple lube every 3-6,000 miles has maintained all 4 ball joints. I replaced all 4 at 90,000 with what the dealer sold me.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

That's the key right there. You don't want to know. But boy does it corner well! Lifetime warranty from Napa goes a long way!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page