Heavy vibration

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

CJE

Heavy vibration

Post by CJE »

I recently purchased a 2003 ZR5 S-10. One of the only problems I have with it is that when it is sitting idle, in no matter what gear, it vibrates heavily. I have had almost anything you can think of checked and/or replaced on this truck, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the cause of this could be. I've literally been trying to figure it out for months.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Heavy vibration

Post by HenryJ »

Motor mounts broken? I'd look hard at that left one.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
CJE

Post by CJE »

To be completely honest, I have absolutely no idea where that's located.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

They are on your frame rails and attach to your engine block. One per side. Draft a helper, open the hood, prop it up, stand besides the driver side front tire (with your hands in your pockets), have your helper place one foot firmly on the brake, with the motor running. Drop it in drive and have the helper bump the gas. You will see some some movement in the engine trying to raise up on the driver's side. To much movement and your fan will hit the cooling fan shroud. 1/2" movement and less is probably acceptable. More than that and you will need to replace it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Don't forget to put it in reverse and check the other side in the same manner.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.