Radiator flush

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Radiator flush

Post by bradjh »

I have been having issues with truck running hotter than normal I am going to flush out the radiator, I bought the radiator flush stuff and the kit, I was reading directions on back of the kit with the tee's in it not exactly clear. If I just drain dex out and put in the flush solutions and follow directions will this be good enough? how do you get the dex out of overflow container?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Radiator flush

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:
HenryJ wrote:...The overflow/expansion tank did have some "muddy like" sediment in the lowest portion. This is why you must pull the tank and clean it.

I drained the radiator then, after running the engine and flushing until the system ran clear, this time I pulled block water jacket plug. This is behind and below the left side freeze plug. Where the stock freeze plug heater is located. I found that an 18" 3/8" drive extension, universal, 14mm socket and rachet worked the easiest. I inserted it between the frame and torsion bar from behind the front suspension. It came out pretty easily, and did drain almost another gallon. Be sure to use some thread sealant before reinstalling.

I added a bottle of Redline Water Wetter, a gallon of green and a gallon of distilled water. Then filled the expansion tank with about three quarts of 50/50 mix.

Good to go for couple years now
HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:Seems to me that I was doing a little research on techline awhile back and there is one on the passenger and one on driver's side of the block but, am probably wrong.
You may be right, but it may be behind the starter on the right side, and not very accessible.
radiator-flush and refill
radiator flushing at 37k?

Drain and refill with straight water as many times as it takes to come clean. This means running the engine until it warms up and then dump and refill. It is a long process.
Yes, you must remove the expansion tank. There is no other way to clean it right.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK