Ball Joint Failure

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Ball Joint Failure

Post by green02crew »

Replaced last spring, now they have approximately 11k miles on them and are in need of replacement again. Stock lasted 68k, whats with the short life span of aftermarket? Is there another problem causing them to fail prematurely?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Ball Joint Failure

Post by HenryJ »

What brand did you use?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Napa's
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have been seeing some quality issues with the NAPA suspension parts. Even their "top line" stuff has changed suppliers and not for the better. It is a competitive market and I know they are trying to remain competitive. I think the quality is suffering in some areas.

I would suggest checking MOOG parts this time, or even the new design OEM dealer parts.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

If I can barge in, What are new design oem dealer parts? Who sells em? Etc?
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have had very good luck with power performance front end parts. They have been on the crew for 35,000 miles and still like new. I had them on my old Blazer and they have have about 150,000 on them now if not more.
The only problem I see is on other forums. Some guys are waitting 4 to 5 weeks to get there parts.
I like to do the job one time and be done with it.
Just my 2 cents....
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Power Performance & MOOG are both good choices. I thought the NAPA premium parts with blue colored boots were good quality? I guess they could have switched to a lower quality supplier. I have had good results with their other parts like CV axles, brake parts, etc.
When did GM switch to higher quality ball joints? My 05 ZR2 with 98k miles just got a new set of lower ball joints replaced under warranty, so hopefully I got the good ones. The newer GM upper ball joints are now sealed instead of greasable. Mine were replaced around 50k miles and are still tight.

Steve