flush without the rad hooked up?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

flush without the rad hooked up?

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Been a long time since I posted - actually took me a lil while to find you guys again!

anyway - quick question - stock radiator crapped out yesterday @ 110k miles. Looks like it cracked somewhere in the upper drivers side, on the front side of the rad. When I am installing the replacement this evening, can I hook up my flush kit (using the prestone kit that is installed into the heater return line) and circulate water through the motor without the lower rad hose connected to just flush the motor/heatercore?

It's been a while since I flushed the truck out, so I'm foggy on the process. I remember you used to just pull the lower drain plug and let it drain while flushing, so would I be hurting the built-in trans and oil coolers if the radiator is empty when running the motor?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: flush without the rad hooked up?

Post by F9K9 »

I would rather flush with the engine running and the AT lines hooked up. There is a plug on the block (drivers side) that I pulled.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yeah - did that, the block was pretty much empty. I had to drive it a short distance with the temp gauge pegged.

Once I realized the block was empty, I connected the Oil/AT lines flushed the block for a min, then connected the radiator hoses and filled her up.

Truck is running about 20 degrees cooler now than it did with the old 109k mile radiator.

Only prob now is that when the old radiator cracked , it doused my new Gates drivebelt and the front of the motor in antifreeze, and the belt won't stop squeeling at mid-rpm. I cleaned the engine w/ a very mild degreaser solution, and it didn't help. Looks like I get to buy another belt to get it to go quiet.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Belt conditioner?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

green02crew wrote:Belt conditioner?
Didn't make much better.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

adrenalnjunky wrote:stock radiator crapped out yesterday @ 110k miles. Looks like it cracked somewhere in the upper drivers side, on the front side of the rad.
Funny thing just happened to me yesterday. The stock radiator just went out on mine @145K in the same location. Anybody got the part number to the upgraded/oversized or even the stock radiator? Looks like I'll be changing that out tomorrow/ASAP.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the part numbers on the other thread. Found it locally for 109.99, (129.99-$20 coupon), and then add tax. :rock:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]