Rear end oil ammount?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

DeiselRed
Crew
Crew

Rear end oil ammount?

Post by DeiselRed »

Hey im changing out my rear diff oil next weekend and I was wondering how many quart's that it takes to fill it up? Any info would be great. Thanks.

matt :P
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rear end oil ammount?

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Use the fill hole located on the passenger side of the rear diff and fill it up until the oil just starts to flow back out the hole.

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:Use the fill hole located on the passenger side of the rear diff and fill it up until the oil just starts to flow back out the hole............
Unless, it is an aftermarket cover with a fill hole higher than the OEM one. Then you will puke it out the breather hose and possibly ruin the seals. Don't ask me how that I know this. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

That's why it is best to always use the factory fill hole. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:That's why it is best to always use the factory fill hole. :wink:

Steve
Agreed or the recommended amount. Not relevant here but, when these guys start lifting their rigs and the rear diff pinion angle needs to increase then, you have to start doing silly stuff like parking on an incline to get the recommended amount of fluid in a rear diff with aftermarket covers.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

DeiselRed wrote:Hey im changing out my rear diff oil next weekend and I was wondering how many quart's that it takes to fill it up? Any info would be great. Thanks.

matt :P
2.1 quarts says the manual I looked in at autozone..or was it o'reilly's??
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift