Engine Done????

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Engine Done????

Post by border man »

Well my truck stranded me yesterday on the freeway off-ramp. It died as I was exiting, and would not start back up. I immediately figured it was the fuel pump, as it has done this before. Got a tow to the house. New Delphi pump is on the way (not in stock locally) from RockAuto. Well today I go out and try to start it and it does :?: As it's running, I notice the temp gauge starts to climb to the 210 mark. No problem, I'll check the coolant level. I find out the rad. is low, very low. I started to add coolant, and kept adding some more :shock: I then checked under the truck to look for an obvious puddle or dripping, but there was none. Next place to look was the engine oil dipstick. :cry: It was covered in milky gunk almost halfway up. My truck now has 144K, is there any hope that it might be an intake gasket/head gasket or should I start sourcing a new engine? :cry:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Engine Done????

Post by roadrunner »

Sorry to hear your bad luck! If it were my truck and it was not using any oil and had been running okay otherwise I would definitely try to repair the leak(s) before going after a new engine. But then that's me. It is also true if it's been leaking into the oil for a while the bearings could be about to go away as well. Definitely a judgment call based on personal experience on your part. Good luck! 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are definately going to have to diagnose it further. It doesn't sound encouraging though. Intake gaskets are suspect, but at that mileage other things could be suspect as well.
Look at filling it cold and seeing if it leaks out is a start. You could have any number of things happening. Freeze plugs rotted, bad head gaskets, intake gaskets, water pump, radiator, hoses , all of the above or any combination.

It would be a tough choice to repair or replace. Right now you need to know what IS wrong.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Hj, or anyone else, what do you guys consider a fair price for an engine replacement. I've been quoted $1850-2000 from several shops in the Phoenix area. This would include a reman/rebuilt engine and labor. Any idea what a new crate engine costs? GMPartsdirect does not list one for the 2000 models.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds really reasonable to me. I have not ordered a crate 4.3L V-6, but my cost on the GM crate V-8 is around $2400 now. The last V-6 I bought was my 3.4L HO and that was just under $2k IIRC.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

That's a cheap price if that's installed and a full re-manufactured engine. I paid 3700.00 apx in 2008 for my Jasper reman with 3yr 100k waranty and that was about 1000 less than they wanted for a Goodwrench crate motor.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Definitely sounds reasonable to me if you need a new engine. Don't know what crate engines are going for currently but if labor is included in that price that's not bad at all IMO. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I paid $2200 for a Jasper 4.3 8 years ago and that went into a G-20 Van. Sounds like a good price to me.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Looks like I will be going with a GM Goodwrench reman engine. It comes with a 3yr, 100,000 warranty. I will order it when my tax return comes in, and have it installed at a later date.

4.3 Ltr - 262 C.I.D. - GM ENGINE 1999-2000 Reman 12491867
Subtotal: $2,396.71

http://www.rockenbachchevy.com/?http:// ... index.aspx
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Man that sucks, sorry.

Why not drop a 8 in it? :evil:

Ah man, if I ever kept this truck for a 'toy' I would love to have a small block in it. Or whatever would fit... I would NEVER be knowledgable enough do to it myself... id have to pay some 4x4 shop or something... but I think it would be worth it, lol.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Sorry about your trouble. You might want to look on ebay or a local yard for a used motor. I am heading to Florida the end of the week to pick up a used motor and tranny. It's from an 03 CC with 81,000 miles. I think I made a good buy. $550 each and I pick them up saving them from crating and shipping. The motor is complete with flywheel, exhaust manifolds, TBI, distribitor ect... It comes with a good warrenty. But doesn't do me much good as I wont be swapping it out till my 140,000 mile motor/trans goes south. But the deals are out there (if your not looking)!
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Oh, I'm still looking but a 1992 Ford Bronco just popped into my radar screen 8) . At $2600, it sure is calling my name.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

DLP, The motor and tranny are shared with extended cab models and blazers and others alike. If you don't narrow the search to a CC you may find more options available.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page