u joints problem

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

junkraider
Regular
Regular

u joints problem

Post by junkraider »

hello everyone I am trying to replace my u joints but the front one won't seem to move to get it off any idea's ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Does it have spring clips or does it still have the plastic injected retainer?

If it has never been changed you will need to heat the yoke with a torch to melt the plastic and press the u-joint out while hot.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
junkraider
Regular
Regular

Post by junkraider »

has the plastic retainers
junkraider
Regular
Regular

Post by junkraider »

press out with like a c-clamp ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It will take more than that. A big vise , joint press, or arbor press would be helpful.
I have one of those Harbor Freight ball joint presses, but have yet to use it. Most often I use an 8" jaw bench vise.
Seasoned veterans do it with just hammers. I do too much damage that way.

Heat it up until the plastic crawls out like a snake, then quickly remove the joint. Once out pick it clean before installing the new joint.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

junkraider wrote:press out with like a c-clamp ?
After you get the plastic melting I would use a vise that would spread far enough apart. Otherwise check what loaner programs you local auto part stores offer. Normally is you rent (buy) the loaner tools and get 100% reimbursed upon their return. Watch out for the caps on the u-joints when they let go. It can be violent and I have need some pretty cool holes through windows and drywall. If, you have a drive line shop, check on their prices.

It's normally pretty reasonable compared to parts, time, glass and drywall costs combined. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
junkraider
Regular
Regular

Post by junkraider »

lol i dont have any vises and tried hammers and tried c-clamp and well lets just say i might be buying a vise tomorrow
junkraider
Regular
Regular

Post by junkraider »

Watch out for the caps on the u-joints when they let go. It can be violent and I have need some pretty cool holes through windows and drywall. If, you have a drive line shop, check on their prices.

It's normally pretty reasonable compared to parts, time, glass and drywall costs combined. Wink

well i guess working on it right next to my truck is not a good ideal then ! i was thinking about useing a saws all and choping the old ones out lol probably wont work either
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nope :lol:

Lots of heat. You have to melt the plastic out. I use an Oxy-acetylene cutting torch. A propane torch doesn't quite get it hot enough. Map gas might get close.

When it is hot enough they come out pretty easy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
junkraider
Regular
Regular

Post by junkraider »

figures just my luck i might just see what the shop will charge to do the u joints when the drive shafts already out . or maybe i could see how much they will charge to take the old u joints out only
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Once they are out changing them next time will be easy. They will be held in place by spring clips now.

IMO, if you haven't done one and feel the least bit hesitant, have a shop pull the originals. Watch it if they will let you. Cheaper than college tuition.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
junkraider
Regular
Regular

Post by junkraider »

lol yeah im trying take it to a friends shop right now
if hes got time for me
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I really do not understand that plastic sealing reasoning. Heeps did the fronts like that on the axle end of the drive shaft. I spent almost $125 in decent parts and destroyed mine. New OEM one was $175. I bit the bullet and bought a custom one for $300. They will rebuild them all day long for $50. Have my OEM one as a spare but, the heep is getting a definite reverse rake to it with all the tools, axles, fluids and drive shafts in the rear. :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Are there Mallards circling the heep?
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

rlrnr53 wrote:Are there Mallards circling the heep?
Not anymore than any other heep. :lol:

In case you missed it before, Heeps are a true black hole for money. The name says it all!

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
:lol: :lol:
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: u joints problem

Post by green02crew »

Speaking of doing U-Joints... When doing the rears 3 out of 4 bolts came out with only slight effort. The 4th bolt as you guessed it, broke.

Thoughts or solutions?
I do have a spare axle sitting in the garage with no broken bolts and good threads. Is it possible to remove what looks like 1 1/2" nut and take it off the front of the axle and attach it to my current one?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:I do have a spare axle sitting in the garage with no broken bolts and good threads. Is it possible to remove what looks like 1 1/2" nut and take it off the front of the axle and attach it to my current one?
Yes. You will need a needle type inch pound torque wrench to measure the pinion preload prior to removing the nut. That way you can get the correct preload on the pinion bearings when you reassemble it.

It seems like there is a thread around on how to do this?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

This sounds like it will be a project. Northern rust is not my friend. With the added rust, will that change the measurement of torque? Any other ways to get around the broken bolt?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are not measuring the torque of the nut. You are measuring the torque required to turn the pinion. The nut is torques a couple hundred foots pounds to create the preload on the bearings by crushing a steel sleeve that rides between the opposing bearings.

Exterior rust should not affect the bearing preload.

Drill and extract is as good as I know for the broken bolt. It will be easier to fix while removed. You may need heat and that would damage the seal. You should plan to replace it while things are apart anyway.

It IS going to be a "project". Sorry. :(

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

The thread which Brule speaks of,

http://forums.s-10crewcab.net/viewtopic ... inion+seal

if you have any questions about that pinion nut, ask. Been there, FYI your gonna need to buy or rent a GOOD gear puller.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Is the Zr2 yoke the same as the standard s-10 yoke? I could easily swap them out.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:Is the Zr2 yoke the same as the standard s-10 yoke? I could easily swap them out.
I doubt it. The pinion in the 8.5 is bigger. Mine did use the same u-joint, but I have heard others had different joints.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Would the yoke out of a silverado work seeing as they have the same size rear end or would the ujoints be a different size?

I tried drill and extraction on the broken bolt with no luck.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Don't know about the silverado yoke but if you're up against it drill the bolt clear out and heli-coil it. Cheaper than a new yoke at least.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The full size will also be the 8.5 that may or may not match the ZR2 axle.
I would head down to the local salvage yard and buy one that is a match if you don't have one.
I have one for the stock 7.625" off of my old axle, but I am quite a distance from you.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Okay, figured what the heck, tossed in my zr2 axle.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re:

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...............I have one of those Harbor Freight ball joint presses, but have yet to use it.............
Many praises but, more cussings on the HF press. I spread mine on a DS U joint replacement. I don't know how that it would apply to a DS ujoint replacement but, one method recommended is to apply torque to the press then hit the thing that you are removing something from with a BFH. I know it works with pitman arms and drag links with the TREs. Also keeping the threads lubed in the process helps. Make any sense?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Just finished using a HF ball joint press tool (4x4 model) installing new ball joints in a 94 nissan sentra with no problems. Worked well.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I did end up using a drill press to get the bolt out of the yolk. I then tapped it out to 3/8. I followed up with all the holes and did them all out to 3/8 so they would be even. Since the yolk is now course thread, I thought lock washers would be a smart choice. Axle is about ready to go now. Some new seals and bearings since its sitting and it will be nearly new again.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab