buzzer noise coming from underneath truck???

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

kxracer
Crew
Crew

buzzer noise coming from underneath truck???

Post by kxracer »

My truck has a very strange noise coming out from under it sometimes. It sounds like the door buzzer inside the truck, but a little quieter, and it is coming from underneath the truck. I have no idea what it is, lol, but it doesn't sound very good. It seems to start if it is at idle for a longer period of time, but it will keep making the noise for a little while even if you are driving. It also seemed to get slightly quieter when I flipped my brights on?? Any ideas? Thanks
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I would check the fuel pump first off. They are known to make a similar noise.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

I have that same noise from my truck. my brother, who's a mechanic, said it was the fuel pump. with mine, it starts when my tank is below 1/2 a tank. does any one know if the noise is a sign of the pump going bad or something?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Yup it's a sign that it might be on it's way out. Our trucks really should not be run below 1/2 tank since the gas cools and lubricates the pump.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Worry when the sound quits.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

ok i didnt know that the gas lubes the pump. so how much is a new fuel pump anyways?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

You are looking at about 3 bills and a little work to empty the gas tank, drop it and replace the unit. From what everyone else has said go AC Delco or Delphi only for the replacement. Search the board for more threads with info.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

paintballrocker wrote:ok i didnt know that the gas lubes the pump.
Not only lube, but more importantly cools it. The pump actually sits in a bucket to keep fuel around it while the tank drains down.
Those who run on the top half tank are doing the pump a great favor.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

Alright, this sucks. How much longer can I expect this pump to last? If it is going to fail, I hope it fails within the next 1500 miles, because than it is still under the 3 month/3,000 mile warranty.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

kxracer wrote:Alright, this sucks. How much longer can I expect this pump to last? If it is going to fail, I hope it fails within the next 1500 miles, because than it is still under the 3 month/3,000 mile warranty.
If thats the case, and your sure its the pump. I think id run it on empty till it finally crapped, lol. :lol:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Or buy the appropriate after market extended warranty coverage for the truck.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Noise is good. It does not mean it will fail. A whine is normal.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

alright, update: The fuel pump never failed, but I was having problems with the starter, one door sagged, and one of the seatbelts in back wouldn't buckle, and the annoying noise from the pump, so we brought it in with 200 miles left on the warranty. They looked it over and it needs new door pins, a new starter, a new fuel pump, and filer. so now the fight begins on who is going to pay for it. It better not be me. :lol:
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

New update, they are fixing the fuel pump and starter on the warranty, but I have to pay for the fuel filter. There was old food (gross) stuck in the seat belt that didn't work. We are still going back and forth on who is going to pay to fix the door, but they want $220, which is crazy considering the part is only $20. If anything, we could fix it, or send it somewhere else to repair it. :idea:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

What does you warranty say? 50/50 parts labor? I think mine on 30 days was 50 parts/20 labor.

I never used it, well,, I had an appointment when i thought my fuel pump might have been an issue, turns out its jsut how the guage works,,, I waited for half an hour and just walked out of their shop, lol.
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

fallvitals wrote:What does you warranty say? 50/50 parts labor? I think mine on 30 days was 50 parts/20 labor.

I never used it, well,, I had an appointment when i thought my fuel pump might have been an issue, turns out its jsut how the guage works,,, I waited for half an hour and just walked out of their shop, lol.
3 month/3000 mile bumper to bumper warranty covering everything but maintenance. That is why they should be paying for the door to, but IDK if that will work out, because I think the salesman may have misinterpreted it, as I think it may have been leaning more toward power train. This is the second vehicle we bought from them, so I bet they will cover it, but we'll see.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

squeeky wheel!!!