Rear end - advice

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

pceh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rear end - advice

Post by pceh »

A few weeks ago I spent $3K replacing the following:

- Rear Calipers, Pads, Rotors, Shield
- Rear end rebuild - all bearings, carrier, ring gear etc...
- Universal Joints

Some advice:

1. Check the oil in the rear-end. If it looks like a chocolate brown change it immediately. Check the oil every oil change.
2. Change the rear differential venting location. Mine is attached to the bed and I am look for a new place, as this is where water gets in.

The reason I had to spend $3K was because of the water accumulated in the rear end. The brakes were done because everything was off anyway. The rear disc shields were disintergrating so they needed to be changed. Expensive lesson learned here.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Pretty much standard. Many of us have had the same issues and they are well documented in other posts.
The rear breaks were junk on mine in less than 20K. With luck they got all the sludge out but to be sure I might get it changed again in a few hundred miles just to be safe.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]