wheel bearings

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

wheel bearings

Post by sonoma »

how often is everyone replacing the wheel bearings????

i ask this because i seem to be changing them every year

the past 9 months i have changed 3 on the left side and now my right side is starting to go
what can cause bearings to go bad??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Poor quality bearings? How many miles are you getting out of a set and what driving conditions are common for you?
I am on my first replacement set.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Are you "packing" them when you install the new bearings. Must be really really cheap bearings for such a short lifespan.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They are a sealed hub assembly. Something to look forward to. Plan on $200-$300 each for good ones.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

So the 3 he is talking about are two in the hub and the outer on the rear axle?? Maybe he's getting them too tight. Heck, what would I know I've never changed a hub bearing thingamajig thingy.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Three sets would be my guess. Probably close to $1000 worth.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Somethings not right here then.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The front wheel bearings are sealed and can't be overtightened. The rear wheel bearings are just pressed in and also can't be overtightened. Both front and rear wheel bearings require no grease. Even though there is no actual mileage when either one should be replaced you should get at least 50k miles out of them unless you frequently beat the hell out of your truck. :?

My 2001 CC had 100k miles on the factory front wheel bearings when I wrecked it and they were still in good shape. My 2005 ZR2 has 80k now and the bearings are still good. I bought my 1988 S10 Blazer from the original owner and she said the front wheel bearings have never been replaced and I now have 220k miles on it. :shock:

I agree that you should always buy high quality bearings even if they are 2x the price of the cheap ones. :wink:

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I have to replace my fronts about every 20-30k. They don't last long on my roads out here. Lots of rough washboards take their toll. Also of note I only drive mine when the roads are too bad to drive with a car due to mud/snow and there are lots of ruts to contend with whether wet or dry. Very hard on those front bearings. Doesn't seem to make much difference whether or not I spend lots on them or not either. They just get beat to death.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

the original bearings lasted me 3 years than once i had to replace them and gone to aftermarket they were being replaced almost yearly, and i put about 35 000 km a year. I have been getting my bearings from napa so maybe it is the cheap bearings. fortunately for me the bearings were under warranty so it wasnt too bad. Would ac delco bearings last longer???
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I got 80,000 out of the stock bearings. Replaced both within 3 months of each other. 6 months later I had to replace them again. I bought the middle of the road ones at $130 each. Lucky for me they had a 1 year warrnty. Auto Zone replaced them for free. I paid the difference to get the best ones I could get through them. I think they were Timkin? They are a billit cast instead of being welded together. Night and day difference in quality.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
junkraider
Regular
Regular

Post by junkraider »

I just replacaed mine and they seem fine but the darn ABS light wont turn off i had someone remove the code it was giving but the darn light just came back on he says its cause i bought the middle grade ones that are after market and that i should have bought the ones froma GM dealership . any one got a clue if hes right or is there something else i can do to turn the ABS light off ???
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

i had that problem as well with one of the bearings i replaced
from now on its the dealer bearings
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I've got 131,000 on my originals, YIKES !! :shock: :!: I wonder whats up with that ? :?:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Anybody use the ones Synergy Offroad sells ? They are made by Wheel Bearings Inc. At $ 94.50 each its hard to pass them up. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

I had the Synergy ones put on my truck. Everything seems fine with them. I don't go wheeling in my crew so I cannot attempt to guess how they would hold up under stressful poundings. Just my :2:
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I replaced the left front at 85,100 miles. The truck has 169,300 miles on it now. I think the one that went bad I replaced with a Timken but I'm not sure. Right front is still the original.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed