engine coolant spew

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

GTOhaas

Post by GTOhaas »

f9k9 wrote: find an old topic that is relative to your question then, please resurrect it. We have limited space on a donor server and try to conserve when we can.
I did look through your search tips and I use those all the time over at LS1GTO.com I'll do some more searching though.

Another quick question, has anyone ever had engine coolant spew out from their EGR valve? I had the joy of this happening to me today on my way up the mountain to do some mountain biking.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GTOhaas wrote:has anyone ever had engine coolant spew out from their EGR valve? I had the joy of this happening to me today on my way up the mountain to do some mountain biking.
That would be a first. The EGR doesn't interface with the coolant, so something is seriously wrong. Cracked or broken. I would hesitate to say that it is not possible.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
GTOhaas

Post by GTOhaas »

HenryJ wrote:
GTOhaas wrote:has anyone ever had engine coolant spew out from their EGR valve? I had the joy of this happening to me today on my way up the mountain to do some mountain biking.
That would be a first. The EGR doesn't interface with the coolant, so something is seriously wrong. Cracked or broken. I would hesitate to say that it is not possible.
Thats what I was thinking but that was where the coolant was coming from, I thought. The dealer finally got back to me via a voice mail. I could barely understand what the guy said other than something is cracked right by the egr. Any ideas?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would tend to lean toward the more common suspects like the thermostat housing or lower intake gaskets.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

GTOhaas wrote:
f9k9 wrote: find an old topic that is relative to your question then, please resurrect it. We have limited space on a donor server and try to conserve when we can.
I did look through your search tips and I use those all the time over at LS1GTO.com I'll do some more searching though.

Another quick question, has anyone ever had engine coolant spew out from their EGR valve? I had the joy of this happening to me today on my way up the mountain to do some mountain biking.
Yes my son's 2.2 S-10 did that, seems where it mounts to the head there is a coolant passage there.
Never heard of it doing that on the 4.3
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
GTOhaas

Post by GTOhaas »

Found out it was a cracked intake manifold. Truck is going to be down for a week. This isn't exactly the way I wanted to have the first two weeks of ownership going lol. At least I still have my GTO to put around in.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That will be the first I have heard of on a 4.3L. Please get us a picture.

- ThunderII KE7CSK