Grease Front End

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Grease Front End

Post by 24digger »

I think anyone with new crews should grease theirs immediately. I greased mine today and they had very little grease from factory.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes this is true!!!!!! they dont grease them....

AND PLEASE DO NOT BELIEVE THAT JUST BECUASE YOU TAKE IT TO THE DEALER OR TIME IT LUBE, THAT THEY WILL GREASE YOUR FRONT END.

THEY WILL NOT EVER EVER EVER GREAESE ALL YOUR 11 GREASE POINTS ON YOUR FRONT END!!!!

and me and paul have 15 points and i sure aint trusting them to do that :?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

How would we know where to look? What grease do you use?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lubing and Manuals has quite a bit of information.

I use an EP2 grease (redtac)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya i had the same ?'s....brule taught me how and where to find them......

it took me 25k miles before they ever got greased......thats probably why the idler arm went out.....anywho...good luck

if you have any ?'s,,,,just keep asking
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:Lubing and Manuals has quite a bit of information.

I use an EP2 grease (redtac)

I was at the store and saw all sorts of grease to use. Is EP2 safe to use on most grease fittings? Since I have to grease up my Trooper, I want something I don't have to change tubes.

Thanks,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I use it on most everything around here (Excavators, trucks, wheel bearings, an occasional door handle ;) )

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

here's a rough list for you to follow

1. upper ball joint driver side

2. upper ball joint pass side

3. lower ball joint pass side

4. lower ball joint driver side

5. tie rod end driver side

6. tie rod end pass side

7. relay rod driver side

8. relay rod pass side

9. idler arm at frame

10. idler arm at relay rod

11. pitman arm at relay rod.

That should be it, have fun trying to get them all. When I grease mine I have to use three different tips on my grease gun in order to get into some of the tight spots.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Well, mine finally got greased at 20,200 miles for the first time. What a pain in the tail. I got all but 1.

First, I removed the skid plate. That made it much easier. Also I had to turn the wheels to the left to full lock to get to both of the lower ball joint fittings.

Then the problemmatic inner tie rod ends. I had picked up metric 90 degree grease fittings for the inner tie-rod ends, but they didn't seem to fit correctly. Weird - it takes a metric socket to remove the OEM ones, but the threads appear to be 1/4" fine threads. Definitely different from the metric fittings I bought at AutoZone. I will try SAE fittings next weekend. But I was still able to pretty easily do the passenger side with the wheel turned to the left to full lock. I have an 18" hose on the grease gun, and I was able to loop it over to do that one. But absolutely, positively, no way I could do the driver side.

I'll try again next weekend.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

hey mike, :D it also took my truck about 20k in miles before they got greased.

and yes you can get to the driver side. i can get to all 11 of mine just fine without the use of 90* zerks or different endings on my grease gun. hang in there. when i first tried it i said it was impossible too. then after a few times, i can grease all 11 real fast, no problem

and yes you have to turn the wheel full lock left and right, it makes it easier.

the first time i got to my driver side, i looped the grease end around the back of the axel, came up over top, the put the tip of the grease gun on the fitting and then had my wife turn the wheel passenger which made the gun and the zerk lock together.

since that time i do not need anyone's help, nor do i take off the skid plate to get to the idler arm. i just lay under neath and put the gun up through a clearing on the driver side, i nearly use all of the hose to get to it.......of course i have a engine skid plate, so this only applies to those who have one

if you need any more help with anything let me knowImage
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

The linked image does not show up......

I tried and tried to get the grease tip on that last fitting but it just would not make up. Slight misalignment. Maybe the steel tip on my grease tube is a little too long. I just couldn't quite get it to make up. If it was 1/2" shorter I think it would. Maybe I'll look around for a shorter grease tip.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

a2b wrote:yes this is true!!!!!! they dont grease them....

AND PLEASE DO NOT BELIEVE THAT JUST BECUASE YOU TAKE IT TO THE DEALER OR TIME IT LUBE, THAT THEY WILL GREASE YOUR FRONT END.

THEY WILL NOT EVER EVER EVER GREAESE ALL YOUR 11 GREASE POINTS ON YOUR FRONT END!!!!
Instead of taking the truck to the dealer this time during the winter for my oil change, I decided to head on out to my cousin's shop. I had his buddy, who's a mechanic, show me where all the grease fittings were on my truck. Turns out, a few of them had never been greased before!! Good thing everything's still alright with it. Can't trust the dealership mechanics! You would think by now they'd know where they all were! Well, I was able to get to all of them, even the ones that would be easier with the 90º fittings. I think if I were to do it with out the lift, I would definately want the 90º fittings.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]