Distributor Cap and Rotor

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Distributor Cap and Rotor

Post by DLP »

It's been close to a week since I drove the CC after replacing the wheel bearings, u-joints and diff fluids. Had it sitting in the barn with the hood up and a triclkle charger on the battery. Went out today to take it for a ride. Wouldn't start. Turns over and pops a couple times. It was below 0 and warmed up to 60. The whole motor was pretty wet from condinstation. I pulled the cap and rotor and found a nice water puddle in the rotor cup. Took them in the house and dried them with a hair dryer. Put it back together and fired right up. Drove it 60 or 70 miles tonight. All is working fine. But come Monday, I will be purchesing a new set. It has 130,000 miles and I changed this set at 89,000. Been doing a lot of reading on what seems to work the best. A lot of info and a lot of opinions too. Might as well do the plugs while I am at it.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Be sure to clean the vents in the bottom of the housing and heed the warnings of its plastic composition.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Good heads-up. I read a lot of the threads about it last night. I went ahead and replaced the wires while I was at it. I tore 5 of the 6 boots off the wires while removing them. They were all pretty brittle. All went well with the tune-up. But the trip to AutoZone wasn't as good. My son and I trashed the pass rear door of the jeep. 20 degrees and snowing made the roads pretty slippery. We missed the on-comming truck by taking to the ditch. The boy did a pretty good job of dodging the guy. But we cought a tree. 4WD got us out of the ditch and back home. No one stopped or asked questions so we beat it for home. He is still in drivers training. Don't need any issues there!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0_4815.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0_4811.jpg
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

That #3 plug looks like a bitch??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Easier with a 2" body lift for sure.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Ain't that the truth! Thank you for modding the pictures.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Sorry it ended up being an expensive tune up, glad no one was hurt. Looks like my moms Olds from years ago when an United Van Line truck drove us into a guard post. He didn't want to yield the center in the snow either and never stopped.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

DLP wrote:...........But the trip to AutoZone wasn't as good. My son and I trashed the pass rear door of the jeep..........................
Ouch!!! If, it is any consolation to you, the Cherokee rear doors usually become tough to operate once you start wheeling them. The unibody usually get's tweaked but, the 4 dr ones are stronger than the 2dr ones.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]