ABS warning light.

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

ABS warning light.

Post by PATRICKH »

Ok, had the ABS module rebuilt, had the pump motor checked (ok) had the vehicle speed sensors replaced.

STILL GETTING AN ABS LIGHT ON THE DASH. Yes I did have the codes cleared after each repair.

My stupid question this time around....

Would an out of adjustment parking brake cable cause the ABS light too?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not likely.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Park brake cable should not have anything to do with the ABS system as it is isolated from it and has it's own set of shoes which are internal in the rear rotors. The park brake is fully mechanical and manual in nature and only will show a brake light on the dash when applied or not fully released. The ABS system should only affect the 4 wheel disc brakes and their application and release via the ABS module and pump motor and the associated brake lines and valving. I would suspect a problem (still) either in the module or the sensors. Also make sure the entire system has been properly and fully bled to remove air as this can cause erroneous lights and peculiar operating problems as well in an ABS system.
Have you tried the ABS out on wheel slippage situations to make sure the system is operating or not? (hard braking on slippery or gravel surface)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Have you checked fuses?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

If all the wheel sensors have been replaced and the VSS has been replaced. I would have the codes read, you might have 1 sensor reading a different wheel speed which will cause the ABS light to come on.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Checked fuses. All good there. As soon as the snow storm here stops, I'll take it to a different shop and have the codes read again to see where that leads. Thanks
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I had an ABS light due to a wheel bearing going down the crapper. The light would only come on every once in a while, mainly on sharp left hand turns, and go off after a few minutes. Metal shavings were getting thrown on the sensor then get clean off somehow. Just throwing a thought out there, as that wheel bearing had just been replaced about a year prior. :!:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

OK, so not to start a new thread......Warning: Long post.

A while back my dash ABS & Brake lights finally stayed on, & I had to remove the ABS fuse because the ABS motor was continuously running. So after riding around with the lights on the dash & fuse pulled for more than a few months, I decided to do something about it. I researched on-line about whether you could replace the unit, buy a new one, or get a salvage one. I found two places that will rebuild your ABS control module for like $150, and you can still drive the vehicle while you send it to them, ( ABSfixer.com & Modulemaster.com), and they rebuilt/upgrade the components in it. Other sites said that you either need to match up the two digit code from the Kelsey-Hayes module bar code on the top of the unit, or match the 11th digit in your VIN# donor vehicle of roughly the same years, either a K or 2. Well, guess what, I called up my auto salvage guy, and he said he had one that was suppose to fit my '01 4x4 without ZR2 option, I guess '00 & '01, because the others I looked on-line for were either up to '00 or '03-'05. I stopped by, and it looked different & the codes didn't match. However, all of the electrical connections matched exactly. So he let me just swap the electronic portion of the module/pump to see if it would work, as he only sells the whole pump & electronic part as one unit, & has never taken it apart before being afraid to braek it.......Guess, what? I swap it out with the ABS & Brake light going out, no ABS motor running, and ABS working properly again. He said "Well, You learn something every day....So I can just remove & sell the electronic portion, HUH". Well, I could have gotten it for 1/3rd of the price, (~$25-30 plus shipping), but I figured that he let me test it first...So $100 & it's fixed. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the ABS control module swap out that will work. It's only four screws to remove the module & un-pluging of three elec connections. :wink:
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

HenryJ wrote:Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.
Well, I was hoping it would help someone out in the future. I kept looking for a Kelsey-Hayes with the HD barcode lettering, or the same style with the bar codes that matched, as there's two bar codes on the electronic portion of the unit, ( Go figure mine says "HD" on the top bar code seeing I ride an HD), or one for the same year/model with no success. There's also a bar code on the side of the electronic portion that points to the engine. That bar code didn't match either. I finally decided to just try it. :D Oh God, I'm the one to explore new territory on this site, maybe. :shock:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

And you thought only riding a "HD" was adventurous!!!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wouldn't even be able to guess what I was riding after getting back to the world. Gave it up after 12 yr old kids, whose bones didn't break, beat me on a regular basis in my CC class.

Hijack over....lol

Last edited by F9K9 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Sure Reed. Now we know why them "ducks" are still chasing you. Making up for all the accidents you are still due but escaped!! lol
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

My lights have been on for a while too. I also changed out both wheel bearings and nothing? I was considering looking for a rebuild place, as the 2000 model year is not interchangeable, and I cannot find a 4x4 near me.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote:WVHogRider wouldn't even be able to guess what I was riding after getting back to the world. Gave it up after 12 yr old kids, whose bones didn't break, beat me on a regular basis in my CC class.

Hijack over....lol

Um, I'd say a mid 70's Bultaco....but not really sure of the exact year. :wink: The styling kind of reminds me of my third dirt bike I had growing up: a 1978 Yamaha GT80(?).
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

border man wrote:My lights have been on for a while too. I also changed out both wheel bearings and nothing? I was considering looking for a rebuild place, as the 2000 model year is not interchangeable, and I cannot find a 4x4 near me.
You may be able to find some cheap ones on Ebay, or spend the $130-150 at ABSfixer.com or Modulemaster.com. 8) If you go the ebay route, just make sure that it's for a non-ZR2 option 4x4 in a close year.