Gotta ask about the failure rate on stock S10 Crew cabs

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

tomtk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gotta ask about the failure rate on stock S10 Crew cabs

Post by tomtk »

I had a 1984 2wd S10 and only fed it brakes, hoses, belts, exhaust and radiators.

I bought my 2002 and have replaced more parts by 58500 miles than in 165,000 on my 84

so far
Motor encoder just out of 36K warrenty
e brakes
all four rotors
rear back plates rusted thru
left front CV axle
all 4 ball joints
left front bearing hub
The dreaded intake gaskets
belt
tailgate cables broke b4 recall
radio died on rear channels
fuel pump twice once under warrety
and the Fuel injection spider upgrade due to drooling

Should I get rid of it will it ever be reliable and able to trust on a long trip?
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

they are very reliable trucks. you've replaced most of the trouble parts on the truck so i think you should be good.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

If you haven't done shocks add that to the list, That seems to be the majority of issues I have seen from other posters (other than a couple catastrophic engine failures). I think they are as problematic as any other s10/blazer it just depends on the individual vehicle. Most of us with more problems have also tweaked our rigs. I think any changes from factory soccer mom mode does cause some excess wear and tear on some failure prone items.
Ask Reed about long trips. I carry AAA so I never worry much about trips,I just make sure everything is up to snuff when I leave and hope for the best.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

That list is nothing compared to the problems I had with my 01 Crew Cab.

3 Delco batteries replaced (2 had internal shorts and on 1 the POS terminal fell off spilling acid everywhere) :x
1 Power steering pump replaced (blew the front seal)
The entire fuel injection system was replaced (failing injectors)
1 Leaking intake manifold gasket fixed
2 Encoder motors replaced
1 transfer case (3 button) switch replaced
Drivers side and passenger side window switches replaced
Both torsion bar hangers (mounts) replaced
Both CV axles replaced
Stereo replaced (rear speakers stopped working)
1 Fuel pump replaced (leakdown rate too fast)
Both tailgate cables replaced (1 snapped with me on the tailgate) :shock:
1 power steering gear box replaced (too much play)
2 front control arm bushings replaced (cracked)

I know there are a few other things, but this list shows most of the problems I had before I reached 70k miles.

I now have 70k on my 05 ZR2 Blazer and the only things replaced so far are the front driveshaft (bad CV joint), idler arm (too much play), steering damper (leaking), and the drivers side rear window (leaking).

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Gotta ask about the failure rate on stock S10 Crew cabs

Post by F9K9 »

tomtk wrote:I bought my 2002 and have replaced more parts by 58500 miles than in 165,000 on my 84...........
e brakes
all four rotors
Did you regularly use your e brakes? If, not then there is the reason. Did you replace them and the rear rotors yourself? If, you had it done why did you replace them? Did they not work? How do you know they were bad or if, they were even replaced. The backing plates is a partial result of MI winters and salt.
tomtk wrote:left front CV axle.......all 4 ball joints,
left front bearing hub
axle may be attributed to the potholes but, the ball joints and bearing assembly can damaged by them.
We know that you knew the bearing assembly was bad because you researched and did it yourself. That leads me to believe that someone replaced the ball joints. Was it done under warranty? If, not who diagnosed the problem. Were they the ones that replaced them?
tomtk wrote:The dreaded intake gaskets
My '02 is running great but, I researched and dumped the dex!
tomtk wrote:belt
Routine mainenance and I hope you do not believe GM's other maintenance schedules. I hope you coming up soon as to replacing all fluids, plugs, wires, cap and rotors and fuel filter for a second time shortly. I would have replaced all hoses by now, as well.
tomtk wrote:tailgate cables broke b4 recall
Should have saved a receipt, you would have been reimbursed under that notice.
tomtk wrote:radio died on rear channels
Does that mean the rear speakers? Sounds like a connection problem. Those bone jarring potholes will do that. I know all about them, I am a MI native.
tomtk wrote:fuel pump twice once under warrety
I hope you made sure that they replaced it with an OEM pump and not an aftermarket one or you will be looking at #3 soon.
tomtk wrote:and the Fuel injection spider upgrade due to drooling
Again, no problem with my '02 but, it depends on the time of build.
tomtk wrote:Should I get rid of it will it ever be reliable and able to trust on a long trip?
I just completed a 4K trip and didn't lose a moment's sleep worrying about it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I think the operative situation here is like all other vehicles. Some have good luck others do not. I too have had numerous troubles and failures but then I really USE my 4x4 or it sits at home. Not much "light duty" driving. Rough roads and abusive conditions are to blame on my rig.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
tomtk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tomtk »

f9k9 wrote:
tomtk wrote:I bought my 2002 and have replaced more parts by 58500 miles than in 165,000 on my 84...........
e brakes
all four rotors
Did you regularly use your e brakes? If, not then there is the reason. Did you replace them and the rear rotors yourself? If, you had it done why did you replace them? Did they not work? How do you know they were bad or if, they were even replaced. The backing plates is a partial result of MI winters and salt.
Used ebake all the time to center the shoe lining cracked pulling rotor off over rust ridge
tomtk wrote:left front CV axle.......all 4 ball joints,
left front bearing hub
axle may be attributed to the potholes but, the ball joints and bearing assembly can damaged by them.
We know that you knew the bearing assembly was bad because you researched and did it yourself. That leads me to believe that someone replaced the ball joints. Was it done under warranty? If, not who diagnosed the problem. Were they the ones that replaced them?
Did ball joints my self MOOGs
tomtk wrote:The dreaded intake gaskets
My '02 is running great but, I researched and dumped the dex!
Runnin Peak Global NON 2EHA formula now
tomtk wrote:belt
Routine mainenance and I hope you do not believe GM's other maintenance schedules. I hope you coming up soon as to replacing all fluids, plugs, wires, cap and rotors and fuel filter for a second time shortly. I would have replaced all hoses by now, as well.
tomtk wrote:tailgate cables broke b4 recall
Should have saved a receipt, you would have been reimbursed under that notice.
lost em by now
tomtk wrote:radio died on rear channels
Does that mean the rear speakers? Sounds like a connection problem. Those bone jarring potholes will do that. I know all about them, I am a MI native.
still have not checked it out and ya right the rear ones is there a common failure point???
tomtk wrote:fuel pump twice once under warrety
I hope you made sure that they replaced it with an OEM pump and not an aftermarket one or you will be looking at #3 soon.
Deplhi redesigned pump new style bucket with springs in bottom not top and heavier gauge wiring
tomtk wrote:and the Fuel injection spider upgrade due to drooling
Again, no problem with my '02 but, it depends on the time of build.
Ya got lucky mine was the poppet style funny in CA they would have replaced them as defective
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

tomtk wrote:.......Ya got lucky mine was the poppet style funny in CA they would have replaced them as defective
Um, you ain't in CA and that was state specific. It looks like you don't need any help from me concerning the CC or deciding whether you should keep it or not. I merely tried to answer your questions about your failures.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
tomtk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You guys are helpful on stuff

Post by tomtk »

f9k9 wrote:
tomtk wrote:.......Ya got lucky mine was the poppet style funny in CA they would have replaced them as defective
Um, you ain't in CA and that was state specific. It looks like you don't need any help from me concerning the CC or deciding whether you should keep it or not. I merely tried to answer your questions about your failures.

Guess I will see if it makes it thru most of the summer with no breakdowns. I am hoping I am ahaed of the curve now and its good for like another 50K with nothing but regular maintenece items fluids etc