Uh Oh......DTC C0267

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Uh Oh......DTC C0267

Post by WVHogRider »

So this morning at 6:30am and -4* temps, the truck decides not to start & I have a 35 minute ride to work for a 7AM start! :cry: Well, finally I get it started around 8:30 with a jump from a neighbor. So I go to work for about 2 hrs, and come back to work on the truck......Turns out both terminals were completely corroded over & the bolts were about striped. So I clean everything up, put the old bolts back in so I can limp to Advance Auto. Get new bolts, go to pull out of the lot, hit the brakes to check for traffic & all of a sudden the ABS light comes on & I'm hearing this loud pump/electronic motor noise.....Plus I can feel the motor noise through the brake pedal. :shock: I drive home, turn the truck off, and the pump/motor sound doesn't quit????? Pop the hood and find that it's the brake motor right next to the fuse box. Remove the ABS fuse from the box, and it stopped. Fix battery terminals, hook the battery back up, and pop the ABS 60 amp fuse back in to find the motor/pump starts again......Check the codes and get C0267 and P0327....I had gotten some knocking right when I went to pull out into traffic... :oops: ...No, I haven't installed those new plugs, wires, cap or rotor that's been sitting here for the past year or whatever it's been.....Been hunting & chasing women. :wink:

So code C0267 is for a Pump motor circuit Open/Shorted.....You think it's just from the cold or do I have major issue.....What say youns'?
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Sounds to me like your ABS went. I never liked the ABS in our trucks anyways. Not very efficient IMO. The fullsize had some issues where there was a recall due to the ABS coming on randomly. I remember my dad's silverado had the ABS come on during operation trying to stop at a stop light on dry pavement in the summer. Coasted right through and the next stop was the dealer. Junky design, I wouldn't put it past failure.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you haven't installed that cap and rotor, then I will probably guess that you have never changed the brake fluid either, right?
Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It seeks out and absorbs moisture. Air has moisture. The fluids hydraulic properties and boiling point are changed with the addition of the water. I can see how very cold temperature could pose a problem in a system with water contamination.
Brake fluid needs to be changed periodically to maintain the system , both in preventing corrosion within, as well as performance.
I am not saying that the fluid is the problem, or even a contributing factor. Just one thing that usually gets neglected and might be suspect in this case.

I have had several ABS pump failures on the fullsize. Ours don't appear to be very different. It does sound like you do have a problem. I am not sure if warming it up and changing the fluid would improve things.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

HenryJ wrote:If you haven't installed that cap and rotor, then I will probably guess that you have never changed the brake fluid either, right?
Brake fluid is hygroscopic.
Well, you guessed correctly... :oops: ....I've had the new fluid for longer than I've had the cap & rotor, but just haven't gotten 'round 2 it...... :oops:.......It's supposed to warm up in the next couple days ...I guess I'll see how it goes, as it's riding OK with the ABS 60 fuse pulled except for the ABS & Brake lights lighted on the dash. :roll:
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You'll be fine. I intentionally disable the ABS when wheelin' the CC. It's bad juju when wheeling. The best "off the shelf" trail rigs are the Jeep Rubicons and they are high dollar when compared to base Wranglers. ABS brakes aren't even an option on them.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steal the turkey baster out of the kitchen and suck out as much as you can , then refill with fresh. That'll only take minutes.
Hide the baster, DON'T PUT IT BACK! and for heavens sake don't tell her I said to steal it! I will..deny, deny, deny! :evil:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

The ABS in the early Chevy designs I think are junk. The pedal vibrates and does what it should however the vehicle does not stop as fast as if the tires are just before lockup. I think they back off the brakes too far. I know the studies and I know ABS is more safe, I just don't feel ours is designed well at all.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Ditto what Green said. I have ABS on another GM vehicle and it doesn't operate as poorly as the one in my CC.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

HenryJ wrote:Steal the turkey baster out of the kitchen and suck out as much as you can , then refill with fresh. That'll only take minutes.
Hide the baster, DON'T PUT IT BACK! and for heavens sake don't tell her I said to steal it! I will..deny, deny, deny! :evil:
Brule.....I'd be stealing the baster from myself......Remember, I'm divorced, Thank God. :wink: But now that you mention it, I do have a really good baster that would be perfect, as it's stainless steel I think & I don't mind the exact flavoring in the food. It's been quite cold here, and doing work on the CC out on the road, (No garage yet), has been horrible. Friday was 4*, with about 5 inches of snow, when I was out cleaning the battery terminals. Talk about freezing the fingers off, WOW was it cold.

Well, the truck has been starting fine until this morning. I didn't start it Sunday, and come out to find a battery with not enough juice to turn the engine over.....Just clicking, but luckily the GF was still snuggled in bed. So I snagged her keys for a quick jump. Looks like I'll be stopping at both Autozone & Advanced on the way home for a battery test/purchase....Well, time to search for the battery thread for best battery, as I think the Optima is on it's last leg and I was just looking at the thread the other day when this began. :wink:

As for the ABS system, I agree with all of youns', but I'm going to stick the fuse back in to see if possibly the temps had anything to do with.. :idea: ...It's warmed up slightly....35* today. :roll: I'd be on the scoot, but there's still too much snow on the roads. :twisted:
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Update.......New battery not needed. :D Apparently, the corrosion WAS the culprit, and the battery didn't get charged enough after the corrosion cleaning. Both tests showed that the battery was good, the alternator was charging at 14.5.

As for the ABS motor......It wasn't 35*, more like 25*, and the motor was still running when I put the fuse back in. :x Looks like I'll be looking up part numbers, unless anybody has an alternative part that is better than what came on our trucks, as I've issues prior to this with it engaging on dry pavement. :!:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check with your dealer to see if there are any recalls or special service bulletins for the ABS module.
Things like that are a safety issue and might be covered if the problems are widespread.
I haven't heard of anything, but I haven't been looking either.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

ebay s-10 warehouse has some abs motors for cheap.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab