Overdrive

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

MikeyZR5

Overdrive

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Will someone please enlighten me about overdrive on my truck. All my previous vehicles had an overdrive button, but this on doesnt...Is it because it is a 4X4?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Fullsize 2wd has been the same way since at least '94

The shift selector is your choice for all the gears including OD

Personally, I prefer this to the electric OD cancels that Ford and Dodge use.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Simpler design. One less thing to break.
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Cool...That helps alot...I had a Frontier Crew Cab previously and a Mazda B3000...and both had the OD button...This is my first GMC and I am pretty impressed.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I came really close to getting a Frontier Crew, If they would have had a supercharged on the lot things could be quite different now.

On the Nissan and Mazda did you have to select (or push) the button to get OD , or to cancel?

Did it stay in the previously selected position after cycling the ignition?

Ford and Dodge require you to disselect the OD everytime you shut it off and restart.

We have quite a few in the fleet and no one remembers to take it out of OD when offroad. toasts the trannys!

If it wasn't for the fluid exchanger, I'd have a full time job changing transmissions in those Dodges. FYI Dodge transmissions do not circulate fluid to the cooler while idling in park. They just cook the fluid if you let them sit in hot weather. Just another reason, "Friends don't let friends drive _"

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

HenryJ,

In the previous trucks, I had to press to cancel...I had the Frontier Crew Cab that was Supercharged and it was cool...I kinda lost it to a divorce...damn, as for our trucks, it is a good thing to know that it is pretty much worry free.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We're both probably better off, with the GM trucks ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Oh i am seeing that now...
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i drove a supercharged xterra.

didnt see any power

if you super charge ours, you can get 300hp

you super charge theirs, you get 210?

thats pretty lame

personally, i prefer the push button overdrive. but i have learned to just shift into 3 and that will make the tranny last longer anyways. cuz if we had a push button, the truck would still be able to use that 4th gear, which, if pulling a heavy load, may not be the best idea anyways.

so 3rd is just safe and simple for everyone
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

I noticed power off the line and punching it while in motion, other than that, our trucks are perfect for my driving, besides, i stop racing...off roading is starting to appeal to me.