No heat !

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

TUDDA
Regular
Regular

No heat !

Post by TUDDA »

Only getting cold air blown into the cab when turning the heat on. Could it be as simple as changing the thermostat to get that warm comfy felling again?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It might be, but check the coolant level first. While you are there check the condition of the coolant. Dexcool is known to gel and plug up the heater core. That is a possibility too.

There are good threads on how to flush and change the coolant. That would be a good idea if it has been more than two years since it has been done.

If that is all good read the stickied thread on the transfercase switch. Checking for ATF in the system would be my next concern.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:It might be, but check the coolant level first..............
X2
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
TUDDA
Regular
Regular

Post by TUDDA »

Changed thermostat, still getting cold air :twisted:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

TUDDA wrote:Changed thermostat, still getting cold air :twisted:
Was the coolant level normal?

If the coolant level is normal then you most likely have a plugged heater core which is caused by Dex-Cool and air contamination in the cooling system.

You could try unhooking both heater hoses and flush the heater core with a garden hose, but if that doesn't work then you will need a new heater core.

It would also be be a good idea to switch to the standard "green" coolant and replace your radiator cap. :wink:

Steve
TUDDA
Regular
Regular

Post by TUDDA »

Thanks, Steve
TUDDA
Regular
Regular

Post by TUDDA »

Bought 2 lengths of 6' hose the same diameter as the hoses on the heater core,and ran them off the front of the truck. Ran water from garden hose through both lengths of hose. Some brown GUNK ran through the lines then cleared. Filled radiator and reserve with fresh dex, then started truck with fingers crossed. Put a thermometer in the vent and temp reached 123 degrees! :D Took it for a spin and temp was up to 145 degrees. Hopefully that will get me through the winter. THANKS for all the help.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keep an eye on that Dex. It doesn't like contaminants. Distilled water is a good choice for mixing. Hard water can be seen by Dex as a contaminant. Flushing the whole system and draining everything, including the engine block, is the safe bet.

You might get lucky, but I would guess that the rest of the system still hides some of the brown gunk you flushed from the heater core.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK