Leaking Inner drivers side CV boot.

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

tomtk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Leaking Inner drivers side CV boot.

Post by tomtk »

do torsion bars have to be unloaded to pull steering knuckle and remove the half shaft???
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I don't unload the torsion bar. Put the vehicle on jack stands under the frame. Put a bottle jack under the lower control arm. Pop the top ball joint.

The last one is the hard part. The way I do it is to jack up the bottle jack until the frame starts coming up off the jack stands. Find a nut or any solid object that will fit between the tip of the upper control arm and the steering knuckle. Let the bottle jack down slowly pinching the nut in the gap and "preloading" the ball joint making it easier to pop. If you let it down too far, you may bend the upper control arm.

I had the same boot leaking because the factory clamp was not tight enough. I found some clamps at napa. Put some new grease in and put the new clamp on. Still working so far. The napa part number as best I can read the receipt (the numbers are run together) is CVB 686-5834 for the big clamp and 5833 for the small one.

The problem was finding the right grease. All the boot kits tell you to clean out the old grease and add the packet of new grease. This is pobably because there are two types of grease primarily used in boots. Lithium and Polyurea. From what I was able to find, GM uses polyurea along with many of the japanese cars. Lubrimatic claimed to have the polyurea CV Boot grease but I could never find it for sale. I finally bought some polyurea grease in a tube at the John Deere dealer. It was the wrong weight but the right stuff.

So far so good. If it doesn't work, then I will replace the half shaft. The truck has 150k on it anyway.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
tomtk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NAPA has a NEW Axle for $114

Post by tomtk »

and I found a shop that will install it for $85...sounds like a job I will pay for. For that much its not worth my time to do it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Would just some grease and a worm style clamp solve your problems?
If you haven't lost much grease and the boot is still whole, maybe just the clamp? That is a five minute fix. I have done that to most of mine now.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
tomtk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I picked up that clamp from NAPA you used already...BUT

Post by tomtk »

I live in Michigan I do not want to wait till winter (labor rates go up with the cold) and have further troubles so I will have it replaced ..I am told the NAPA boots last longer

Besides I could not find that grease that looks like GMs all the small packets had Moly inthem around here

how much is lost and did it get damaged .....I was under it in July and it all was dry then while doing fuel pump, intake gaskets, rotted oil filter mount, replacing rear back plates rotted thru and new ebrake cable so I hope this is the last think for alongtime