stalling

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

TUDDA
Regular
Regular

stalling

Post by TUDDA »

I own a 2001 s-10 crew,original owner.At times when coming to a stop the engine stalls, if I'm driving its fine. I'll cruise along fine come to a stop and it will stall again .other times the truck runs fine. Doesn't do this all the time., could something be plugged ? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, Tudda
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Welcome aboard!!
Does the truck run with normal power and acceleration other than the occasional stalling at a stop? How many miles on it? How long since it has been tuned up? Have you scanned/had it scanned recently for any engine fault codes? Does it lose electrical power at the same time? Have you cleaned your battery cables and checked their integrity to make sure the captive nuts on the battery aren't allowing the cables to appear tight but actually lose contact at the battery? Has it started doing this since a recent gas fillup? If so run some heet or other good gas line anti-freeze to clear water that may have been in last fillup. Have you run any injector cleaner lately? If not that would be a good idea also.
Not trying to be too detail oriented but as you can see from the above questions more information is needed to help you diagnose your stalling problem.
Also there are numerous posts here on the forum relating to this and similiar problems. Search for stalling or driveability or won't start related issues. I'm sure we'll all try to help you if we can.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

First clean the throttle bore and blade. Carbon builds up from the EGR introduced just below. Pretty common.
Also clean the IAC valve pintle. That may also be sticking. If you continue to have problems, this is the likely suspect.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
pceh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by pceh »

With my 2002, I had the same issues. I started with replacing the ignition components first (plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor). While it made truck run a bit better, it still stalled. I then moved to the fuel system, starting with filter. Finally, I repalced the fuel pump - that did it. Truck has not stalled since and runs great. The fuel pump had 140K on it, so it was time.
TUDDA
Regular
Regular

Post by TUDDA »

Henry J ... were are the throttle bore,blade and
the IAC , and what do I need to clean them ??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Aerosol throttle body / carb / intake cleaner and a rag.

Top of the engine, centered under the plastic "turtle" of the air intake tube.

Search "CFM throttle blade" for pictures.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK